Skip to main content

100 Cupboards

Featuring Bit, age 7

We would have been finished with 100 Cupboards by N.D. Wilson a lot sooner. It was one of those books Bit had me reading 3 chapters a day of and begging to push bedtime back for. Then we went out of town for two weeks and I left it at home. We were at a crucial point near the end too. Bit was unhappy with me. I made up for it by letting her skip piano practice one night this week so we could finish it. (My voice is still recovering.)
The Story
Henry's parents have been kidnapped while on one of their world traveling expeditions for the travel books they write. He has been assured they will be returned safely after being ransomed. In the meantime he is planning on enjoying himself during this unexpected stay with his aunt, uncle, and cousins in Kansas. Henry has lived an extremely sheltered and protected life and is reveling in new experiences such as baseball, climbing, and drinking soda. Then he discovers, hidden behind the plaster on one wall of his attic bedroom, 99 cupboards. The cupboards seem to go to other places. He can smell things in them, feel things, even see light and people moving around in one. Then he begins receiving mail from a couple and discovers things can come through them into his room. Henry and his cousin Henrietta begin searching for answers which leads to adventures in strange places, discoveries about Henry's past, their family's past, and the awakening of an old and dangerous evil.

Bit's Thoughts
I  Love This Book! I can't decide what to say first. It is one of those books that is slow and gets more and more exciting. Almost all the parts were my favorite. Henry is my favorite character. I like that he was curious enough to chip all the plaster off the wall. I like the adventures he had while searching for someone in the cupboards. He ended up finding someone else who was really weird. I think that Henrietta is really really bossy. I can't really decide if I like her or not.  I have a least favorite cupboard. It is to Endor and is creepy. It makes Henry sick. I think the book was scary around the end because it gets really intense. I thought I was going to have nightmares, but I didn't.

My Thoughts
This is one of the read alouds where Bit was able to choose any book from the shelf. I was pretty excited when she chose this one. I love Wilson's books and they make wonderful read alouds. The language in them is wonderfully rich and has the best imagery. The writing is descriptive, detailed and emotive. There are some parts of the book where the action is slow, but that is part of the genius of the writing. The plot unfolds in the same way the main character, Henry, emerges causing the reader to experience the action just as Henry is experiencing it. Note that when I say the action is "slow", I don't mean boring. It is never boring. Even when little is happening but discussions of tumbleweed and baseball, the way the words are written hold you in the story. The end is anything but slow and will have you reading faster and faster trying to find out what happens next. The villain is introduced in the last few chapters and is creepy with a capital C. Wilson knows how to write villains. Fortunately he also knows how to write heroes. Henry is a hero who lacks confidence,  imagination, and is sometimes cowardly, but a hero is what he is. He is just getting into his stride by the end of this book, which is most definitely a set up for the second book. Which brings us to:


What Bit and I are reading next: Dandelion Fire by N.D. Wilson

Comments

Anonymous said…
I own this book since ages. I should give it a try after your wonderful review...

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Kissing Scenes

When thinking of a favorite things post I could do for February I decided it would have to be kissing. I've already done couples and I was feeling in the mood to do something fluffy and Valentine's related. So kisses it is. I read more MG than YA, and the YA I read tends to not focus on romance so this was actually harder than I expected it to be though a few jumped into my head right away. (And one of my choices does actually come from a MG book. One is adult. Gasp!) The actual scene from the book is quoted followed by my thoughts. The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and a groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day . - The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Turner doesn't write the

TTT: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly themed blog hop created by  The Broke and the Bookish  and now hosted at  That Artsy Reader Girl . This Week's Topic: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List From Most Recent to Least: What books have recently caught your eye?

This Side of Home

What attracted me to This Side of Home by Renee Watson was the cover. The story hooked my interest. The characters made me fall in love. Maya has lived her entire life in the same neighborhood in Portland hanging out with the same group of friends: her twin sister Nikki, their best friend Essence, and Ronnie, Malachi, and Devin-three boys her father mentors. They have plans for the future that involve each other: prom, college, life. But things in their neighborhood are changing. People are moving in and starting new businesses. Property values are going up as a result. In addition to change, this is also causing trouble. Essence has to move out of her  house when the owner decides he can make more money selling it than renting it. The racial demographics of the school, which has been mostly African American, is shifting. This presents new challenges and choices for Maya and her friends. It brings new people into their lives at the same time. Maya has to figure out how-and if-she wa

Serafina and the Black Cloak

Serafina and the Black Cloak  by Robert Beatty is a thrilling tale of mystery and adventure set at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC in 1899. Having lived in Asheville and visited the house several times, there was no way I was going to pass up a chance to read this. (Also it's MG fantasy, always a bonus for me.) Serafina lives in secret in the basement of the Vanderbilt's spacious vacation home. She has lived there most of her life. Her father worked on the house as it was being built and is the mechanic who runs the massive generator and keeps the electricity going. Serafina is the chief rat catcher, slipping through the halls of her massive home secretly and quietly. She is light on her feet, sees well in the dark, and is quick enough to catch the vermin and keep them out. Serafina knows she if different and strange. Her father insists she stay hidden. But all that changes when one night Serafina witnesses a horrible crime. A little girl, a guest in the house, is fleein

Shorter Musings MG Fantasy

Here are some shorter musings on recent MG fantasy reads. Anya and the Dragon   by Sofiya Pasternack This book is fun. It is a book full of adventure, an obvious bad guy, some more complicated morally gray area characters, and a strong, brave heroine. It is also a book about friendships, community, and fighting for what is right. All things that usually work for me really well. While I enjoyed this, I did feel it was a little overlong and there were certain plot points at the end I didn't love. However, there were things I thought were done really well, such as Anya's Jewish faith and the idea that power needs to be challenged. In the end it was a middle of the road read for me, but it is one I will certainly be recommending to dragon and fantasy adventure lovers I know! R is for Rebel   by J. Anderson Coats This is tough because I usually really like Coats's books. I had such a hard time with this one though on so many levels. It's difficult to get into because t