Skip to main content

Wonder

It is pretty near impossible to have anything at all to do with children's literature and not know about all the buzz surrounding Wonder by R.J. Palacio. There was a big part of me that was only reading it because I felt like I had to. Not always the best attitude to go into a book with, but this is a book that can't be tainted by one's bad attitude, partly because it is so well done, and partly because it is impossible to be negative and cynical while reading Auggie's story.

Synopsis (from Goodreads):
I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.
August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances? 


This is a school story.
It is a story about friendship.
It is a story about family. 
It is a story with a dog. (Yes, one of those kind.)
It is a story about empathy, kindness, compassion, and the amazing resilience of the human spirit.
It is a story with mean kids and the mean parents who are creating them. 

Now if you are anything like me you might be thinking you've read this before and don't have a need to read it again. You might be thinking, "Oh, this is one of those books. One of those books meant to teach an important lesson while accruing as many awards as possible." The awards shall be accrued I'm sure, but this novel doesn't read like so many problem stories do. That is because it has characters. This novel stands apart from so many that have come before it in that it focuses on the people not the problem. This isn't a book about acceptance, bravery, standing up for what is right when it is hard. Except it is. Because this is a book about humanity and all of those things are a part of it. It works because Palacio made her characters so real. She gave them distinct voices, personalities, fully rounded lives.

At the center of the story is Auggie, a boy with a facial abnormality so abnormal they don't even have a name for it. The story chronicles his first year at traditional school and is told from several points of view. It begins with his own and includes his sister, friends from school, and friends of his sister. Each person's part isn't just about Auggie though. It is about that person too. Through the changing points of view you get a varied and detailed account and the know that everything is not always as it seems. So much goes behind every action, every word a human being commits or speaks. What one person sees is never the entire story. Each person is their own story and together they all make a bigger one. This is where the power of the book lies, in the threads it shows that bind each individual together into a community.

I could talk about all the characters and what I loved about each of them, but they speak so marvelously for themselves (and for the story):
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid. I mean, sure, I do ordinary things. I eat ice cream. I ride my bike. I play ball. I have an XBox. Stuff like that makes me ordinary. I guess. And I feel ordinary. Inside. But I know ordinary kids don't make other ordinary kids run away screaming in playgrounds.
-August
  August is the Sun. Me and Mom and Dad are planets orbiting the Sun. The rest of our family and friends are asteroids and comets floating around the planets orbiting the Sun...I'm used to the way this universe works. I've never minded it because it's all I've ever known I've always understood that August is special and has special needs...My worst day, worst fall, worst headache, worst bruise, worst cramp, worst mean thing anyone could say has always been nothing compared to what August has gone through. This isn't me being noble, by the way: it's just the way I know it is. And this is the way it's always been for me, for the little universe of us. But this year there seems to be a shift in the cosmos. The galaxy is changing. Planets are falling out of alignment.
-Via
  Some kids have actually come out and asked me why I hang out with "the freak" so much. These are kids that don't even know him well. If they knew him, they wouldn't call him that...Who knew that my sitting with August Pullman at lunch would be such a big deal? People act like it was the strangest thing in the world. It's weird how weird kids can be.
-Summer
I'd been talking to Julian about August. Oh man. Now I understood! I was so mean. I don't even know why. I'm not even sure what I said, but it was bad. It was only a minute or two. It's just that I knew Julian and everybody thought I was so weird for hanging out with August all the time, and I felt stupid. And I don't know why I said that stuff. I just was going along. I was stupid. I am stupid. Oh God.
-Jack (my favorite)
it's funny how there's a word like overprotective to describe some parents, but no word that means the opposite what word do you use to describe parents who don't protect enough? underprotective? neglectful? self-involved? lame? all of the above. olivia's family tell each other "i love you" all the time. i can't remember the last time anyone in my family said that to me.
-Justin (It was very difficult not to correct the capitalization while typing this.) 
One of the things I miss the most about Via's friendship is her family. I loved her mom and dad. they were always so welcoming and nice to me. I knew they loved their kids more than anything. I always felt safe around them: safer than anywhere else in the world. How pathetic that I felt safer in someone else's house than in my own right? And, of course, I loved Auggie.
-Miranda

Are there some cliches used? Yes. Are there some rather over the top moments? Yes. Does it make a big difference? No. It is brilliant despite those things. The voices of the characters and the interconnectedness of  life that they demonstrate are well worth the rather minor plot flaws in my opinion. This is a wonderful book, one that should be read by everyone.
 

Comments

Terri said…
Thanks for the suggestion, Brandy. I will read it aloud in the new school year, or if I can find it I'll read it this year.
Lisa Roberts said…
I love your review of this book and the quotes you chose for each narrator. I love Via's first line from her chapter. I always chose one book to give kids at birthday parties and this might be my next choice for "The Book" that everyone receives. My kids just have to read it!
Betsy said…
Great review, friend!
Brandy said…
Terri-I hope you can find it and enjoy it!

Lisa-That's a great idea.

Thanks Betsy!

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Kissing Scenes

When thinking of a favorite things post I could do for February I decided it would have to be kissing. I've already done couples and I was feeling in the mood to do something fluffy and Valentine's related. So kisses it is. I read more MG than YA, and the YA I read tends to not focus on romance so this was actually harder than I expected it to be though a few jumped into my head right away. (And one of my choices does actually come from a MG book. One is adult. Gasp!) The actual scene from the book is quoted followed by my thoughts. The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and a groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day . - The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Turner doesn't write the

TTT: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly themed blog hop created by  The Broke and the Bookish  and now hosted at  That Artsy Reader Girl . This Week's Topic: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List From Most Recent to Least: What books have recently caught your eye?

This Side of Home

What attracted me to This Side of Home by Renee Watson was the cover. The story hooked my interest. The characters made me fall in love. Maya has lived her entire life in the same neighborhood in Portland hanging out with the same group of friends: her twin sister Nikki, their best friend Essence, and Ronnie, Malachi, and Devin-three boys her father mentors. They have plans for the future that involve each other: prom, college, life. But things in their neighborhood are changing. People are moving in and starting new businesses. Property values are going up as a result. In addition to change, this is also causing trouble. Essence has to move out of her  house when the owner decides he can make more money selling it than renting it. The racial demographics of the school, which has been mostly African American, is shifting. This presents new challenges and choices for Maya and her friends. It brings new people into their lives at the same time. Maya has to figure out how-and if-she wa

Serafina and the Black Cloak

Serafina and the Black Cloak  by Robert Beatty is a thrilling tale of mystery and adventure set at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC in 1899. Having lived in Asheville and visited the house several times, there was no way I was going to pass up a chance to read this. (Also it's MG fantasy, always a bonus for me.) Serafina lives in secret in the basement of the Vanderbilt's spacious vacation home. She has lived there most of her life. Her father worked on the house as it was being built and is the mechanic who runs the massive generator and keeps the electricity going. Serafina is the chief rat catcher, slipping through the halls of her massive home secretly and quietly. She is light on her feet, sees well in the dark, and is quick enough to catch the vermin and keep them out. Serafina knows she if different and strange. Her father insists she stay hidden. But all that changes when one night Serafina witnesses a horrible crime. A little girl, a guest in the house, is fleein

Shorter Musings MG Fantasy

Here are some shorter musings on recent MG fantasy reads. Anya and the Dragon   by Sofiya Pasternack This book is fun. It is a book full of adventure, an obvious bad guy, some more complicated morally gray area characters, and a strong, brave heroine. It is also a book about friendships, community, and fighting for what is right. All things that usually work for me really well. While I enjoyed this, I did feel it was a little overlong and there were certain plot points at the end I didn't love. However, there were things I thought were done really well, such as Anya's Jewish faith and the idea that power needs to be challenged. In the end it was a middle of the road read for me, but it is one I will certainly be recommending to dragon and fantasy adventure lovers I know! R is for Rebel   by J. Anderson Coats This is tough because I usually really like Coats's books. I had such a hard time with this one though on so many levels. It's difficult to get into because t