Skip to main content

Seraphina

All I knew when I went into Seraphina by Rachel Hartman was that it was a book with dragons. Imagine my delight when I began reading and discovered that the book had plenty of other elements to love. Mystery. Political Intrigue. Awesome Heroine. Yes, this book has all of that. Plus the dragons.  I haven't read a high fantasy I enjoyed this much in a looooong time.

Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.
Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.


The world building here is excellent. There are several countries being dealt with that have a complex history. They have a religious system (also complex) and an intricate class structure. None of this is explained to the reader, the story is simply rich with the details of the world the characters live in. There is a bit of explanation given here and there, but the way Hartman wove these parts into the story made sense in the narrative and worked for the characters. The concept at the heart of the story is unique and interesting. After years of war dragons and humans have a fragile peace that has lasted 40 years. The dragons take human form and are permitted to live among the humans. The rules are strict on this and some dragons are better at "passing" as humans than others. Some are so remarkably good at it they form forbidden ties with humans and no longer wish to assume their dragon form. The peace is a fragile one because many of the dragons who fought in the wars are, of course, still alive. And there are humans keen to stoke the embers of fear and hatred for the "beasts" who killed their grandparents in their fellows. There are interesting themes explored through this of what humanity is and it how it operates. I found the contrast between the dragons' lack of emotional connection, the idea that they were beyond such things and therefore above humans, and the human's belief that the dragons lack of emotion meant they were all heartless and bloodthirsty to be interesting.


Of course the important thing in all of this is the people it's affecting. Our characters, most importantly Seraphina. I really loved Seraphina's voice and empathized with her from the first. Her story starts out slowly and she is not forth coming with details. At the beginning of the book Seraphina is a girl in conflict. She has secrets she is ashamed of and must hide. She is lonely, and thinks alone is what is best, and yet she craves companionship. Her walls are up. As the story progresses and she begins to make connections with the people around her her story also opens up. The book really is the process of getting to know her. This one girl who is "prickly" (as the Princess calls her). There were many aspects of Seraphina's character I appreciated. She is not rash. She tries to think every situation through. She manages to avoid most unpleasantness by trying to tell as much truth as she can. At the same time she is crafty, using other people's assumptions of her and situations to gain the advantage she needs in to do what she must in the moment.


Seraphina comes with a whole host of fascinating supporting characters as well: her father, Kiggs. Orma, Dame Okra, Lars, Viridius, Abda, Estar, Princess Glisselda, Comonot, These characters are royalty, musicians, acrobats, dragons, and all interesting in their own right. To top it all off there is a fascinating villain and they are never sure exactly where or how he is operating.


The story is action packed and the last 100 pages or so are nail biters.


I do believe there will be more to come of this world and its characters. The end certainly seems to set that up. At the same time I would be satisfied with the questions left unanswered and the ending just as it is. Hartman struck the perfect balance here.


This is one of my favorite reads so far this year and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys good stories of intrigue or is looking for an inventive take on dragons.

I read a copy most excitedly received from the publisher via NetGalley. Seraphia is on sale July 10. 

Comments

Sarah Prineas said…
I cannot WAIT to read this one!
Charlotte said…
oh goodness my expectations for this are just getting higher and higher!
Brandy said…
Sarah and Charlotte: I hope both of you like it. I am always nervous when I really love a book. I will feel bad if you don't like it.
Chachic said…
I have heard nothing but good things about this title. It keeps popping up in everyone's list of 2012 favorites! I'm still disappointed that I was denied when I requested it on NetGalley but at least it's being released soon. I just hope local bookstores ordered copies of this.
Brandy said…
I hope you get to read it soon. I think you will probably enjoy it.
Charlotte said…
Having now read it myself, I came back to properly read your thoughs--I also loved how the book and Seraphina both opened up in tandem!
Brandy said…
I can't wait to read your review!

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Kissing Scenes

When thinking of a favorite things post I could do for February I decided it would have to be kissing. I've already done couples and I was feeling in the mood to do something fluffy and Valentine's related. So kisses it is. I read more MG than YA, and the YA I read tends to not focus on romance so this was actually harder than I expected it to be though a few jumped into my head right away. (And one of my choices does actually come from a MG book. One is adult. Gasp!) The actual scene from the book is quoted followed by my thoughts. The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and a groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day . - The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Turner doesn't write the

TTT: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly themed blog hop created by  The Broke and the Bookish  and now hosted at  That Artsy Reader Girl . This Week's Topic: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List From Most Recent to Least: What books have recently caught your eye?

This Side of Home

What attracted me to This Side of Home by Renee Watson was the cover. The story hooked my interest. The characters made me fall in love. Maya has lived her entire life in the same neighborhood in Portland hanging out with the same group of friends: her twin sister Nikki, their best friend Essence, and Ronnie, Malachi, and Devin-three boys her father mentors. They have plans for the future that involve each other: prom, college, life. But things in their neighborhood are changing. People are moving in and starting new businesses. Property values are going up as a result. In addition to change, this is also causing trouble. Essence has to move out of her  house when the owner decides he can make more money selling it than renting it. The racial demographics of the school, which has been mostly African American, is shifting. This presents new challenges and choices for Maya and her friends. It brings new people into their lives at the same time. Maya has to figure out how-and if-she wa

Serafina and the Black Cloak

Serafina and the Black Cloak  by Robert Beatty is a thrilling tale of mystery and adventure set at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC in 1899. Having lived in Asheville and visited the house several times, there was no way I was going to pass up a chance to read this. (Also it's MG fantasy, always a bonus for me.) Serafina lives in secret in the basement of the Vanderbilt's spacious vacation home. She has lived there most of her life. Her father worked on the house as it was being built and is the mechanic who runs the massive generator and keeps the electricity going. Serafina is the chief rat catcher, slipping through the halls of her massive home secretly and quietly. She is light on her feet, sees well in the dark, and is quick enough to catch the vermin and keep them out. Serafina knows she if different and strange. Her father insists she stay hidden. But all that changes when one night Serafina witnesses a horrible crime. A little girl, a guest in the house, is fleein

Shorter Musings MG Fantasy

Here are some shorter musings on recent MG fantasy reads. Anya and the Dragon   by Sofiya Pasternack This book is fun. It is a book full of adventure, an obvious bad guy, some more complicated morally gray area characters, and a strong, brave heroine. It is also a book about friendships, community, and fighting for what is right. All things that usually work for me really well. While I enjoyed this, I did feel it was a little overlong and there were certain plot points at the end I didn't love. However, there were things I thought were done really well, such as Anya's Jewish faith and the idea that power needs to be challenged. In the end it was a middle of the road read for me, but it is one I will certainly be recommending to dragon and fantasy adventure lovers I know! R is for Rebel   by J. Anderson Coats This is tough because I usually really like Coats's books. I had such a hard time with this one though on so many levels. It's difficult to get into because t