Skip to main content

The Drowned Vault

When I am asked who my favorite authors are,  N.D. Wilson's name comes out in the same breath as Megan Whalen Turner and C.S. Lewis. I will buy and read anything he writes. Last year The Dragon's Tooth (my review) made my favorite reads of 2011. It's sequel, The Drowned Vault, is even better. Edge-of-your-seat sometimes, jumping-out-of-it sometimes, cringing-in-it sometimes, bouncing-in-it sometimes, good.

Synopsis (from Goodreads):
It's been almost a year since Cyrus and Antigone Smith earned their places as Journeymen at Ashtown, home of an ancient order of explorers that has long guarded the world's secrets and treasures. While their studies go well, Cy and Tigs are not well liked since losing the Dragon's Tooth to the nefarious Dr. Phoenix. The Tooth is the only object in the world capable of killing the long-lived transmortals, and Phoenix has been tracking them down one-by-one, and murdering them. The surviving transmortals, led by legendary warrior Gilgamesh of Uruk, descend on Ashtown in force, demanding justice. Cy and Tigs find themselves on the run in a desperate search to locate Phoenix and regain the Tooth. In the process, they uncover an evil even more dangerous than Phoenix, one that has been waiting for centuries to emerge.

In The Drowned Vault Wilson takes the interestingly intricate world he built in The Dragon's Tooth and kicks it into high gear. Or even higher gear as the first book was pretty intense to begin with. The story is an action packed adventure from start to finish. There is a lot going on and a huge cast of characters to keep track of. In addition to the characters we  already know and love (or fear), a whole host of new ones are introduced including Gilgamesh and Arachne. Yes, THE Gilgamesh (as in Epic of) and THE Arachne (as in the myth). There is now not just one super creepy evil villain to deal with, but two. Not to mention the large group of people whose apathy and fear are causing trouble for the heroes. Then there are all the historical references too, which are great fun if you catch them. The genius of Wilson's writing is that he manages to write well developed characters while maintaining a plot that is in hyperdrive. Most writers can do one or the other. It is a rare talent that can do both.

It is about a year since the beginning of Cyrus's journey and he has grown and changed. He grows and changes within the pages of this novel. Toward the end Antigone is concerned that Cyrus is planning to do something dumb, concerned what he might be doing without her there to restrain or talk sense into him. In fact, he is not. The way he handles the trials and choices in this novel shows he has grown in maturity. He learned from his mistakes and is not interested in repeating them. Some of the thing he does in this book are utterly cheer worthy, especially the scene where he tells Diana's dad he is taking his airplane and doesn't really care if he has permission or if the plane comes back in one piece. He is, by no mean, a perfect hero. I wouldn't like him as much if he were. But he is growing, which is what should be happening. The interactions between Cyrus and Antigone continue to be a favorite aspect in this book:
Antigone burst out laughing, "I can't believe how much you screamed. Even after Arachne knocked you out again, though then it was more like you were gargling."
 "Har, har," Cyrus said. "Like you would have done better."
"True. But the things is Rus-Rus"...Antigone slid onto the rock beside him, nearly knocking him off-"when I scream like a girl, at least I am, actually, a girl."
 Their older brother Dan is featured more this time around as well, making this a truly great sibling story.

Another aspect of the book I love is the number of strong female characters who are a part of the team. Antigone is intelligent and tough. She rises to meet all the physical and emotional challenges thrown at her. When she is faced with putting a squirmy squid over her mouth so she can breathe underwater, she winces and prevaricates, but when it comes down to it she straps it on and does it. Diana can fly planes and is a crack shot with a gun. When the time comes for action she is at the front lines taking down enemies with her excellent shooting skills. Arachne is the only female transmortal Wilson spends significant time on and she is now one of my favorite characters.(Despite the spider army that travels with her. Shudder. I had nightmares due to her little friends. More than once.)  She is fierce in her convictions, willing to do what is hard, and makes tremendous sacrifices to overcome the evil being faced.

Again, I like the way the concept of immortality is addressed and am interested in seeing what Wilson does with it and all the transmortal characters. Particularly Nolan and Arachne, both of whom I love. Nolan especially. (He is a deceptively lazy thief. I can't help myself.) I loved this scene where Arachne and Nolan are explaining themselves to their mortal companions:
She glanced at Nolan. "We two still feel like mortals, like death was stolen from us. We are like you, the dying, not like Gil or the Vlads or Radu or Semiramis or even Ponce-those who fought against their own mortality." 
George Livingstone adjusted his short blond bulk on the ground. "So...you want to die?"
Arachne nodded. Her ancient blue eyes were lightless and still. And then, slowly, a sun rose within them. She smiled at George, "Just not today. See, I am like every other mortal."
Nolan climbed to his feet, watching loose pine needles slide off his trousers. His face and  body still belonged to a boy , but to Cyrus, he seemed as burdened as the oldest man. when he spoke, his voice was low. "There are things on the other side of death that we may never see. Thirsts we may never quench. Tastes these mouths cannot consume. But down here, under the sun, there is nothing new."
Nolan. My heart aches for him and I have a feeling it might break on his account before this series reaches its completion.

 I am looking forward to Book 3 more than I can possibly say. It can't come soon enough for me.

I read a version of this book made available via NetGalley. It is released for sale on September 11. 

 Stay tuned tomorrow for news of a Giveaway involving these amazing books.

Comments

Betsy said…
A Giveaway? I'll have to enter! :-)

I LOVED the scene when Cyrus tells Boone something along the lines of "I won't promise to be careful with your plane, but I will ..." (and proceeds to list his daredevil plans :-)
Brandy said…
It will be up tomorrow!

(Me too! It was one of my favorites actually.)

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Kissing Scenes

When thinking of a favorite things post I could do for February I decided it would have to be kissing. I've already done couples and I was feeling in the mood to do something fluffy and Valentine's related. So kisses it is. I read more MG than YA, and the YA I read tends to not focus on romance so this was actually harder than I expected it to be though a few jumped into my head right away. (And one of my choices does actually come from a MG book. One is adult. Gasp!) The actual scene from the book is quoted followed by my thoughts. The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and a groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day . - The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Turner doesn't write the

TTT: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly themed blog hop created by  The Broke and the Bookish  and now hosted at  That Artsy Reader Girl . This Week's Topic: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List From Most Recent to Least: What books have recently caught your eye?

This Side of Home

What attracted me to This Side of Home by Renee Watson was the cover. The story hooked my interest. The characters made me fall in love. Maya has lived her entire life in the same neighborhood in Portland hanging out with the same group of friends: her twin sister Nikki, their best friend Essence, and Ronnie, Malachi, and Devin-three boys her father mentors. They have plans for the future that involve each other: prom, college, life. But things in their neighborhood are changing. People are moving in and starting new businesses. Property values are going up as a result. In addition to change, this is also causing trouble. Essence has to move out of her  house when the owner decides he can make more money selling it than renting it. The racial demographics of the school, which has been mostly African American, is shifting. This presents new challenges and choices for Maya and her friends. It brings new people into their lives at the same time. Maya has to figure out how-and if-she wa

Serafina and the Black Cloak

Serafina and the Black Cloak  by Robert Beatty is a thrilling tale of mystery and adventure set at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC in 1899. Having lived in Asheville and visited the house several times, there was no way I was going to pass up a chance to read this. (Also it's MG fantasy, always a bonus for me.) Serafina lives in secret in the basement of the Vanderbilt's spacious vacation home. She has lived there most of her life. Her father worked on the house as it was being built and is the mechanic who runs the massive generator and keeps the electricity going. Serafina is the chief rat catcher, slipping through the halls of her massive home secretly and quietly. She is light on her feet, sees well in the dark, and is quick enough to catch the vermin and keep them out. Serafina knows she if different and strange. Her father insists she stay hidden. But all that changes when one night Serafina witnesses a horrible crime. A little girl, a guest in the house, is fleein

Shorter Musings MG Fantasy

Here are some shorter musings on recent MG fantasy reads. Anya and the Dragon   by Sofiya Pasternack This book is fun. It is a book full of adventure, an obvious bad guy, some more complicated morally gray area characters, and a strong, brave heroine. It is also a book about friendships, community, and fighting for what is right. All things that usually work for me really well. While I enjoyed this, I did feel it was a little overlong and there were certain plot points at the end I didn't love. However, there were things I thought were done really well, such as Anya's Jewish faith and the idea that power needs to be challenged. In the end it was a middle of the road read for me, but it is one I will certainly be recommending to dragon and fantasy adventure lovers I know! R is for Rebel   by J. Anderson Coats This is tough because I usually really like Coats's books. I had such a hard time with this one though on so many levels. It's difficult to get into because t