Tuesday, July 1, 2014

TTT: Classics I SHOULD Read (But Don't Really Want To)


This week's TTT topic: Favorite Classics or Classics You Want to Read

I did a favorite things list on my favorite classics once before so today I will focus on the classics I haven't read but probably should. I am not saying that I particularly "want" to read most of these. I've read most of the classics I really WANT to read.




 As fun as I'm sure  these ridiculously long works of great literature are, I just want to curl in a ball and cry whenever I contemplate reading them. Can't imagine why. I'm sure they're not at all depressing.

 
Death on the Nile is one of Christie's most famous, and a classic mystery novel but I can't be made to care much. I'v always preferred Sayers. 


I've read A Farewell to Arms and The Old Man and the Sea so I figure my Hemingway quota has been met. I don't dislike Hemingway but there is really only so much one can take.


I really have no excuse for this. It is so short. But UGHHHH....

 I tried reading both of these as a child. (I blame The Wind in the Willows  for my deep and abiding hatred for all talking animal books. Really anytime animals are behaving like they are human beings....shudder. It scarred me life.) I retried both of them as an adult and nope nope nope. In the case of The Little Prince this is particularly sad since it is ridiculously short. But I honestly am more flabbergasted for the love of these two children's classics than any others.




7 comments:

  1. But... but if you don't read these books by dead white guys, who will? What if everyone decides they're boring and depressing? How will they remain relevant?

    :-)

    One vote here for just reading what you want to read. Life's too short etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I know right? I don't see myself ever getting to any of these really. Except probably Death on the Nile.

      Delete
  2. I'm ashamed to say I've not read any of these books. :/ I do think I have a copy of Le Petit Prince somewhere, in French of course. It was my attempt at helping my fluency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crime and Punishment is one of my favorite books, so if you ever get around to reading it, I hope you like it :)
    I don't like A Wind in the Willows, and I didn't like Le Petit Prince when I first read it; we read it again in French in high school, and my teacher was so passionate about it that I ended up loving it too.

    - Kritika @ Snowflakes & Spider Silk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear the Decameron is hilarious... but I still haven't made myself read it. The Wind in the Willows I think I love only because my father read it to us, and loved it so very much... otherwise I'm so with you on animal fantasies. And "The Little Prince", too. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read The Divine Comedy, it was actually not that bad, although it drags in certain places, as classics usually do.

    I couldn't finish Decamerone. There are some fun stories in there, but some of them are extremely snore-worthy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crime and Punishment is SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete