Skip to main content

Twitter Turf Wars and Blocking of Criticism

ETA: There is a more general post that doesn't address the current controversy, but the just the basic problem I was trying to get at here at Bookshelves of Doom. Worth checking out. 

I didn't really want to write a whole post on the Andrew Smith drama playing out on Twitter and various other media outlets right now. I'm one tiny little voice on one tiny little blog with absolutely no power, but this kept me awake most of the night. Because what went down yesterday is indicative of a massive problem within the wider children's and young adult literature community just as Smith's comments are indicative of a bigger problem than one statement in one interview.

For those of you who might not be aware of the situation, Andrew Smith, author of Grasshopper Jungle, The Marbury Lens, and several other critically acclaimed books, did an interview with Vice in which he was asked about his his books in relation to females.

The question and response:

On the flip side, it sometimes seems like there isn't much of a way into your books for female readers. Where are all the women in your work? 

I was raised in a family with four boys, and I absolutely did not know anything about girls at all. I have a daughter now; she's 17. When she was born, that was the first girl I ever had in my life. I consider myself completely ignorant to all things woman and female. I'm trying to be better though,


Several people found this to be problematic. I was one of them. Because this isn't about one comment. This comment has the weight of Smith's collective work behind it. (A rather large highly praised collection. It isn't like he's new to this writing thing.) I have read exactly one half of a Smith novel. It was Winger. I put it aside because I found his female characters in that particular book to be deeply problematic. I also felt they did a disservice to the male characters too, turning them into the worst sort of stereotype of a teen boy. I have chosen not to read anything else Smith has written, not out of some angry pent up vengeance, but because there is so little time and too many books. And his just don't appeal to me.

I don't think Smith has a hidden woman-hater agenda. I don't think he intended his comment to come across as dismissive as it did to some of us. He's probably a nice guy. What he said is still deeply problematic because it is representative of a deep systemic problem, and no one has explained why better than Phoebe North did in her short Tumblr post

What followed in my Twitter feed was a lot of discussion on the portrayal of female characters in YA written by men, why it is important to get it right, to call it out when it's not, and how we need to speak out if something bothers us. (I would argue the flip of this is also true, but it seems to come up less. Again, I direct you to Phoebe North's post above.) Some of this discussion was snarky, some of it a little condescending for my personal taste, but most of it was excellent intelligent commentary on a subject people felt strongly about sparked by outrage over how debate about gender portrayal occurs in literary circles of all stripes. I saw no one directly @ Andrew Smith. He directly came up in very few of the comments I saw.

So to say I was surprised yesterday when the other half of my timeline erupted in outrage over the vilification and bullying of Smith would be a massive understatement. Many people even used his books as avatars like he died and we were having a memorial. I was mystified. But I probably shouldn't have been.

It is entirely possible I missed something. I only have my one small corner of Twitter to judge from. I attempted to find out exactly how things "went too far", where and how personal attacks were made. I couldn't, and when I asked directly I wasn't answered. (Not faulting the person I asked. No one is obligated to respond to another person on social media, and I have absolutely no cred with the person I asked so I get it.) ETA: I have seen further reports about how there were comments made about Smith's wife and daughter and his relationship with them. Still haven't seen links, but I'm going to believe this took place. That is WAY out of line. One man shouldn't have been made the face of the entire problem and his family certainly shouldn't be dragged into it.

Suddenly there were battle lines drawn and you were either on Team Stand Up for Andrew or Team You Dared to Criticize a Nice Guy. There were no shades of gray. Such is the nature of Twitter I guess. What bothered me and kept me awake all night was the nature of the anti-criticism rhetoric. Every single person who dared to speak out was lumped into the same category their words referred to as "nonsense" and their anger as "fauxrage" of the two minute variety. (People seem oblivious to the fact that several women in the YA lit world have been discussing the problematic female characterization in Smith's books for MONTHS, mostly being shouted down by people who think it's no big deal because his male characters are so well done. But that could be its whole own post.) The rhetoric was highly condescending. Our concerns immediately deemed invalid because Smith is a nice guy. Our anger given a value and deemed not worthy. 

Everyone was basically told to shut-up and play nice. And THIS is my problem. There is a large and growing corner of the children's and YA literary world that wants all online interaction to run like Cloud Cuckoo Land. 
From RoundStable.com

This is particularly true if you want to criticize a book by a hugely popular author and that has received awards. If the person writing it is likeable enough, then all criticism is squelched, whether it is constructive or not. This attitude has shut me up and made me afraid to speak out more than once. Let's just say I learned my lesson when Wonder came out. I never bothered to mention I bounced so hard of Smith's work because of it. I had enough courage to write Goodreads reviews of All the Bright Places and I Was Here, but fervently hoped no one noticed.

And frankly I'm sick of it. Yes, we need to be as compassionate as possible, but that does not mean we can't point out things that are problematic in books. In fact, it is dangerous if we don't.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Fantastic post! Thank you for writing it. I'm very troubled by the idea that any criticism=bullying. I know the world of YA is very insular, but we also need to call out things that are really issues.
Anonymous said…
This, so much.

<3
Brandy said…
Yes. And I'm convinced some actual bullying did occur. But it was certainly not what the majority of the discussion was about. The people doing that should have been called out. The entire discussion didn't need to shut down as a result.

But I'm firmly convinced that a segment of the people who are crying foul don't wan the discussion to take place at all.
Leila said…
Excellent post, Brandy. Thanks for speaking up.
Brandy said…
Thanks, Leila. I really appreciated your post as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Kissing Scenes

When thinking of a favorite things post I could do for February I decided it would have to be kissing. I've already done couples and I was feeling in the mood to do something fluffy and Valentine's related. So kisses it is. I read more MG than YA, and the YA I read tends to not focus on romance so this was actually harder than I expected it to be though a few jumped into my head right away. (And one of my choices does actually come from a MG book. One is adult. Gasp!) The actual scene from the book is quoted followed by my thoughts. The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and a groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day . - The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Turner doesn't write the

TTT: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly themed blog hop created by  The Broke and the Bookish  and now hosted at  That Artsy Reader Girl . This Week's Topic: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List From Most Recent to Least: What books have recently caught your eye?

This Side of Home

What attracted me to This Side of Home by Renee Watson was the cover. The story hooked my interest. The characters made me fall in love. Maya has lived her entire life in the same neighborhood in Portland hanging out with the same group of friends: her twin sister Nikki, their best friend Essence, and Ronnie, Malachi, and Devin-three boys her father mentors. They have plans for the future that involve each other: prom, college, life. But things in their neighborhood are changing. People are moving in and starting new businesses. Property values are going up as a result. In addition to change, this is also causing trouble. Essence has to move out of her  house when the owner decides he can make more money selling it than renting it. The racial demographics of the school, which has been mostly African American, is shifting. This presents new challenges and choices for Maya and her friends. It brings new people into their lives at the same time. Maya has to figure out how-and if-she wa

Serafina and the Black Cloak

Serafina and the Black Cloak  by Robert Beatty is a thrilling tale of mystery and adventure set at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC in 1899. Having lived in Asheville and visited the house several times, there was no way I was going to pass up a chance to read this. (Also it's MG fantasy, always a bonus for me.) Serafina lives in secret in the basement of the Vanderbilt's spacious vacation home. She has lived there most of her life. Her father worked on the house as it was being built and is the mechanic who runs the massive generator and keeps the electricity going. Serafina is the chief rat catcher, slipping through the halls of her massive home secretly and quietly. She is light on her feet, sees well in the dark, and is quick enough to catch the vermin and keep them out. Serafina knows she if different and strange. Her father insists she stay hidden. But all that changes when one night Serafina witnesses a horrible crime. A little girl, a guest in the house, is fleein

Shorter Musings MG Fantasy

Here are some shorter musings on recent MG fantasy reads. Anya and the Dragon   by Sofiya Pasternack This book is fun. It is a book full of adventure, an obvious bad guy, some more complicated morally gray area characters, and a strong, brave heroine. It is also a book about friendships, community, and fighting for what is right. All things that usually work for me really well. While I enjoyed this, I did feel it was a little overlong and there were certain plot points at the end I didn't love. However, there were things I thought were done really well, such as Anya's Jewish faith and the idea that power needs to be challenged. In the end it was a middle of the road read for me, but it is one I will certainly be recommending to dragon and fantasy adventure lovers I know! R is for Rebel   by J. Anderson Coats This is tough because I usually really like Coats's books. I had such a hard time with this one though on so many levels. It's difficult to get into because t