Skip to main content

TTT: Favorite Love Stories


This Week's TTT Topic: This week is a Valentine's Theme of choice. I'm doing my Favorite Love Stories (Book OTPs) because it's been a looooong time since I've discussed this and it needed updating.

I love romance.  I freely admit it, there is no shame. I like fluffy ones and serious ones, but my ultimate favorites are the complicated combinations of both.

Gen and Irene from The Queen's Thief Series by Megan Whalen Turner
These two are the very definition of complicated.  They are also the very definition of wonderful.  Their relationship isn't easy and it is obvious they work hard for it.  These two are expert at flirting under the radar. It is fun to watch as everyone else is oblivious to the conversations they are actually having in reality. (This true of even their very first encounter in the first book. Even though its not flirtatious, they begin honing their double level conversation skills from the start.)  What I love most is how absolutely perfectly matched they are in intellect and skill.  I love how they do not fit into any  romantic trope ever written.  Their love story is unique and it beautifully rendered.

Peter and Harriet from the Peter Wimsey Series by Dorothy Sayers
Again, complicated.  Complicated characters make for complicated entanglements.  Peter and Harriet are well matched too.  They are both intellectual, curious, interested in mysteries and insecure in different ways.  If they had  met any other way it might have been easy, or as easy as something involving  Peter could be, but they met in a prison where she was awaiting her second murder trial.  He had to rescue her by finding the real murderer making things awkward and well, complicated.  I adore the way their story unfolds, from that prison meeting (hilariously awkward proposal and all) in Strong Poison to the uncomfortable realities in Have His Carcase to the further uncomfortable realities and swoon worthy revelations in Gaudy Night to the complicated happily ever after in Busman's Honeymoon.

Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
I almost feel like this one doesn't need explaining. I mean this is rather universal for Austen fans right? But this is one of the love stories I cut my romantic teeth on. Their banter is so perfect. Darcy is such a socially awkward nerd (my favorite kind of hero-one who comes across an arrogant jerk but only because he has no clue how to interact with other humans). Elizabeth is such an opinionated stubborn girl. The combination is one I can never resist and this is the first novel I read that let me just REVEL in it. The place these two hold in my heart is huge.

Kate and Christopher from The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope
And speaking of awkward nerds, Christopher is one who takes the art to dramatic eye-rolling levels of self-sacrificial nonsense. Fortunately for him, Kate has more than enough common sense and hard core stubbornness for them both. She knows how to keep her head clear and focused in dangerous situations, which is good since she ends up having to rescue them both from the situation Christopher's well meaning loyalty and devotion to those he loves lands them in. The banter, which borders on the hostile at times, between these two is magnificent. Most of all I love the way their relationship develops through long conversations in the darkest place of both their lives. They can't touch so physical comfort isn't possible, but they keep each other going through conversation and the presence of their voices. The development of their relationship culminates in one of the best (possibly THE BEST) proposal of all time. Christopher totally nails that at least. *Swoons thinking about it.*

Christopher and Millie from The Chrestomanci Chronicles by Diana Wynne Jones
I know Howl and Sophie are most people's go to when it comes to romance from Diana Wynne Jones, but for me nothing beats Christopher and Millie. Even as a child Christopher is that perfect mix of snark, disdain, and awkward nerd I love in heroes. From their first meeting when he thinks he's all that and a box of chocolate and her magical goddess self is tolerating none of his shenanigans, they are perfection. I originally read these books in the order they are in the omnibus volumes so Charmed Life came first for me. It was an interesting way to read their relationship since they are married adults with children in that book and then you get to go back and see how they got there. But whatever part of their relationship I'm reading, they are perfect: the sniping children drawn together who are also trying to manipulate and control each other (The Lives of Christopher Chant), the awkward teens attempting to navigate their feelings for each other, the powers they have, and the lives they are expected to live (Conrad's Fate), or the married couple with the care of children and an entire enchanted castle and several magical realms (every other book in the series). I really love how their relationship is such an amazing partnership too. Christopher is the  Chrestomanci, but Millie is the stabilizing force of his life and the castle. And let's not forget the ultimate romance in Christopher's last and final life being kept safe in the wedding band Millie wears on her hand. HE LITERALLY PUT HIS LIFE IN HER HANDS.

I'm only doing five because, while I love romantic stories, I'm actually kind of picky about the ones I call my favorites. I'm picky about what I call an OTP. There are certain criteria that needs to be met. But here are a couple of bonuses.

My TV OTP:

My Movie OTP:

What are some of your favorite couples? Did any make my list?

Comments

Anonymous said…
GEN AND IRENE FOREVER!!!
Brenda said…
While I love romantic stories, I again struggled this week with making a list. I just haven't read many lately to feel like I had much to offer. I suppose I could have done a movie list, I have tons were that is concerned :)
Brandy said…
It becomes harder when MG is taking up a lot of your reading time.
Unknown said…
Pride and Prejudice has made a lot of lists this week! I love it :)

My TTT.

Also, feel free to check out our giveaway!
I really need to read Megan Whalen Turner - I hear amazing things about her books!
MeezCarrie said…
Elizabeth & Darcy - yes <3 My TTT
Brandy said…
Yes, it did. I saw it everywhere. It makes sense though because it is incredibly well written and a universal story.
Brandy said…
SHE IS THE BEST. I have no perspective when it comes to her books. :)
Brandy said…
They made a lot of lists this week in one way or another.

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Kissing Scenes

When thinking of a favorite things post I could do for February I decided it would have to be kissing. I've already done couples and I was feeling in the mood to do something fluffy and Valentine's related. So kisses it is. I read more MG than YA, and the YA I read tends to not focus on romance so this was actually harder than I expected it to be though a few jumped into my head right away. (And one of my choices does actually come from a MG book. One is adult. Gasp!) The actual scene from the book is quoted followed by my thoughts. The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and a groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day . - The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Turner doesn't write the

TTT: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly themed blog hop created by  The Broke and the Bookish  and now hosted at  That Artsy Reader Girl . This Week's Topic: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List From Most Recent to Least: What books have recently caught your eye?

This Side of Home

What attracted me to This Side of Home by Renee Watson was the cover. The story hooked my interest. The characters made me fall in love. Maya has lived her entire life in the same neighborhood in Portland hanging out with the same group of friends: her twin sister Nikki, their best friend Essence, and Ronnie, Malachi, and Devin-three boys her father mentors. They have plans for the future that involve each other: prom, college, life. But things in their neighborhood are changing. People are moving in and starting new businesses. Property values are going up as a result. In addition to change, this is also causing trouble. Essence has to move out of her  house when the owner decides he can make more money selling it than renting it. The racial demographics of the school, which has been mostly African American, is shifting. This presents new challenges and choices for Maya and her friends. It brings new people into their lives at the same time. Maya has to figure out how-and if-she wa

Serafina and the Black Cloak

Serafina and the Black Cloak  by Robert Beatty is a thrilling tale of mystery and adventure set at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC in 1899. Having lived in Asheville and visited the house several times, there was no way I was going to pass up a chance to read this. (Also it's MG fantasy, always a bonus for me.) Serafina lives in secret in the basement of the Vanderbilt's spacious vacation home. She has lived there most of her life. Her father worked on the house as it was being built and is the mechanic who runs the massive generator and keeps the electricity going. Serafina is the chief rat catcher, slipping through the halls of her massive home secretly and quietly. She is light on her feet, sees well in the dark, and is quick enough to catch the vermin and keep them out. Serafina knows she if different and strange. Her father insists she stay hidden. But all that changes when one night Serafina witnesses a horrible crime. A little girl, a guest in the house, is fleein

Shorter Musings MG Fantasy

Here are some shorter musings on recent MG fantasy reads. Anya and the Dragon   by Sofiya Pasternack This book is fun. It is a book full of adventure, an obvious bad guy, some more complicated morally gray area characters, and a strong, brave heroine. It is also a book about friendships, community, and fighting for what is right. All things that usually work for me really well. While I enjoyed this, I did feel it was a little overlong and there were certain plot points at the end I didn't love. However, there were things I thought were done really well, such as Anya's Jewish faith and the idea that power needs to be challenged. In the end it was a middle of the road read for me, but it is one I will certainly be recommending to dragon and fantasy adventure lovers I know! R is for Rebel   by J. Anderson Coats This is tough because I usually really like Coats's books. I had such a hard time with this one though on so many levels. It's difficult to get into because t