Tuesday, December 6, 2016

TTT: Favorite New to Me Authors of 2016


This week's TTT topic: Favorite New To Me Authors I Read for the First Time in 2016


Patrick Samphire made his MG debut this year with Secrets of the Dragon Tomb. He also released a novella set in the same world titled The Dinosaur Hunters. I loved both of them and can not wait to read his 2017 release.

Michael Dante DiMartino is one of the original creators/writers of Avatar: the Last Airbender, which I've never watched. (I know.) Rebel Genius is his first novel and I could not put this book down. I'm really looking forward to seeing where he takes this series. Also I will watch ATLA now.



I can't remember who first recommended Joanna Bourne's books to me, but I have a lot of friends who love them. Now I love them too. Her series spans Revolutionary through Post-Napoleon France and its wars with England. British Intelligence agents and French women dedicated to their country in various ways. So. Good. To be honest, I like the first two books way less. I was really happy that I started with book 3 (The Forbidden Rose) because I might have given up if I had started with book 1. And that would be tragic because books 3-5 are magnificent and will be life-long comfort reads. I can't wait for book 6!!!

Lois McMaster Bujold's books have been on my TBR for YEARS. YEARS. I first heard of these books through the Queen's Thief fan community Sounds on LiveJournal. (See. I told you. YEARS.) Why did I wait so long? I think I had worked it up so much in my head, I was a little afraid. But I dove into the Vorkosigan series this year and I'm loving them. Fortunately for me the series is huge so I will be reading new to me Bujold books for years to come.

 Love & Gelato is the sort of contemporary YA book I'm always looking for to recommend. I know a lot of teen readers who enjoy this type of book and I thoroughly enjoy them too. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Jenna Evans Welch offers the world next


Both of these books were written by one author whose work I was already familiar and one author who was new to me. I really hope that Gita Varadarajan and Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich write more books. I will read every one.



8 comments:

  1. It's so good to hear that about Joanna Bourne, because I read Book 1 when it came out and then never tried any of her others. I'll try Book 3 after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...book 1 had some blurry consent and feeling like the heroine was all out of choices that I didn't like. Books 3, 4, and 5 are truly excellent though.

      Delete
  2. I really like Love and gelato and I also look forward to whatever else Welch writes. And Secrets of the Dragon Tomb looks awesome! I'll have to go check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great if you love adventure, intrigue, and sci-fi with fantasy flair.

      Delete
  3. You're just discovering LMB now??? I envy you! How far have you gotten?

    I remember reading the first couple of Joanna Bourne books several years ago—was there a great opening scene with a blind narrator?—and really enjoying them. You say there are more, and they get better??

    Been meaning to get my hands on Dragon Tomb for a while now, and Rebel Genius sounds awesome!

    (I bet I would like the contemporary ones, too. They just never excite me as much when I see them ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read The Warrior's Apprentice, The Mountains of Mourning, and The Vor Game so far.

      Delete
  4. RUN, do not walk, to Avatar. RUN. NOW.

    Also, I take all the credit for the Bourne books, thankyouverymuch ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be watching soon. I promise!

      Haha. I think you might have to share credit with some others but okay. ;)

      Delete