Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Books When You Need Something Light and Fun


This is my first time participating in Top Ten Tuesday. I didn't discover it until after I already started doing the once a month My Favorite Things posts. Once I discovered TTT I would see topics I would love to participate in. As that keeps happening I decided to occasionally participate when the topic is one that I really love. I will still do my own Favorite Things posts too.

This week's TTT topic is Top Ten Books When You Need Something Light and Fun

The MG Choices:

 
The Kat Books by Stephanie Burgis: Regency England and magic. It doesn't get any better than that. There is a lot of mystery, adventure, and romance thrown into the mix too. 

The Penderwick Books by Jeanne Birdsall: This series about four sisters and their adventures and friendships is perfect lighthearted fun. I sometimes read the end of Gardam Street whenever I need a scene that will just make me smile at the end of a long day.

The Contemporary YA:
  
Meant to Be by Lauren Morill:  London and the type of romance I adore most, the bickering in denial kind. Sigh.

Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt: This book portrays the sort of family dynamics I like and does it with a lighthearted touch. Oliver is also a perk.

Fun Fantasy:

The Sherwood Ring by Eizabeth Marie Pope: You will never have as much fun with a ghost story as you will with this one.

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones: Howl is one of the most infuriating and enduring characters in print. And I love his interactions with Sophie oh so much.

Adult Romance:

Romancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia Quinn: Julia Quinn is an auto-buy author for me, because she writes such witty dialogue and her books are often hilarious. This one is my favorite. I love Colin and Penelope and how their relationship's development is so tied to words and writing.

The Chocolate Thief by Laura Florand: I have never read an adult contemporary romance I have enjoyed as much as this one. Chocolate and Paris. You can't go wrong.

Not so Much LIGHT but still FUN:

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis: Sleep deprived time travelers who are racing between their own time, WWII, and Victorian England with lots of Dorothy Sayers references thrown in. Words can not do my love for this book justice.

The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner: I think this is the volume of the series that I have the most fun reading. It is almost like the reader is a co-conspirator by this point.

18 comments:

  1. I haven´t read any of those books, but I just add some to my TBR list. thanks for sharing.
    Here is My Top 10 Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy the ones you added!

      Delete
  2. I love how you divided your list by genre. So happy to see The Chocolate Thief in this list! And that it's has become a favorite contemporary romance novel for you. Also yes to Howl and Gen. :) So obviously I need to read the Dorothy Sayers books sitting on my shelf right now and then follow that up with To Say Nothing of the Dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read To Say Nothing of the Dog before I read Gaudy Night. It made me want to read it even more. Either way both books are amazing.

      Delete
    2. But I want to get the references when I read To Say Nothing of the Dog! :P In any case, I have the three remaining Lord Peter and Harriet books plus To Say Nothing of the Dog here with me in Singapore.

      Delete
    3. Lucky you! All those great books to read for the first time.

      Delete
  3. I like the diversity of your list (I could only think of MG). And how could I forget Kat, Incorrigible! I've got Going Vintage on my shelf waiting so patiently and now I'm excited to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going Vintage is so good. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Of these, I've only read Going Vintage, but I thought that one was really cute and fun, and the family elements were perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was cute and fun.

      If you like The Scarlet Pimpernel you would probably enjoy the Queen's Thief series too. And The Sherwood Ring.

      Delete
  5. The only book I know here is Meant to Be and I haven't read it yet! Well, I read one chapter then I quit. :( I'll get back to it soon though :) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give MTB another shot and enjoy it. I really do love Jason and Julia.

      Delete
  6. Your post is reminding me that I need to read Turner's Thief series. I also want to read Meant to Be and Going Vintage. Yay for Romancing Mr. Bridgerton! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! You do need to read the Thief series. It is beyond amazing.

      Delete
  7. Oooh, I've never heard of THE SHERWOOD RING before. It looks good!

    And YES! I spent most of KoA cackling and rubbing my hands together as I muttered, "You fools! You complete fools, you have no idea."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sherwood Ring is so much fun. And has a truly excellent wine poisoning scene. What more is there to want?

      Delete
  8. I've only read the first Penderwicks book, but I adored it! And I really need to read Meant to Be and the Chocolate series too, so many friends have raved about those. Nice list!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Penderwicks on Gardam Street is actually my favorite. It focuses on the oldest sister and she is the one I identify with most.

      Meant to Be is so much fun. You should give it a try. I need to read the rest of the Chocolate series but I REALLY enjoyed the first one.

      Delete