Friday, December 5, 2014

End of Year Survey


I know there are still a few weeks left to go, but this is the perfect time for me to do this. My reading slows way down in these last few weeks of the year anyway.

Disclaimer: Any references to MG Speculative Fiction reflect only my own thoughts and feels and not those of my fellow Cybils committee members or the committee as a whole.

Much thanks to Jamie at Perpetual Page Turner for her work in putting together this survey every year and letting us all use it (and her graphics).

All links to my reviews.


Best Books by Genre

MG Realistic: The Great Greene Heist by Varian Johnson

MG Speculative Fiction: The Homeward Bounders by Diana Wynne Jones

YA Realistic: Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass  by Meg Medina

YA Speculative Fiction: Black Dog by Rachel Neumeier

Adult Romance: Private Politics by Emma Barry



Book I was excited for, but didn't love as much as expected: 

Talker 25 by Joshua McCune

Most Surprising Book 

Something Real by Heather Demetrios (I was not expecting to love this one like I did.)

Best Series I Started:

The Dare Island Series by Virginia Kantra

Best Sequel:

The Cracks in the Kingdom by Jaclyn Moriarty

Best Series Ender:

Nomad by R.J. Anderson

Best Book Out of My Comfort Zone (Poetry)

Poisoned Apples: Poems for You My Pretty by Christine Heppermann

Most Action-Packed/Thrilling/Unputdownable: 

The Magic Thief: Home by Sarah Prineas

Favorite Cover 
The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier

Book I can't believe I waited so long to read:

A Face Like Glass by Frances Hardinge

Favorite Quote:
He felt a shock, as if her faith was a golden axe and had struck right through his dusty husk of a heart. The heart did not bleed, however, and in the next moment its dry fibres were closing and knitting back together again. 
from A Face Like Glass by Frances Hardinge

Book That Shocked Me the Most (oh the twistiness) 

The Perilous Sea by Sherry Thomas

OTP of the Year (SAIL, SHIP! SAIL!)

Josh and Thalia from The Dare Island Series by Virginia Kantra (They are MINOR characters in every book but oh my gosh I LOVE them!)

Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship

Milo and his parents in Greenglass House by Kate Milford

Newest Fictional Crush

Ezekiel from Black Dog by Rachel Neumeier

Best 2014 Debut

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

Most Vivid Setting

Boys of Blur by N.D. Wilson


Favorite Review I Wrote

A Face Like Glass by Frances Hardinge

Best Discussion Post

Books By Women About Girls Boys Should Read

Best Event 

ALA Midwinter

Best Moment(s) of Blogging Life

Participating in Cybils again. I love this!

Most Popular Posts

Boys of Blur by N. D. Wilson review (page views)

TTT: Books That Make Me Swoon (comments)


Book I didn't get to in 2014 that's a priority in 2015:

The Family Romanov by Candace Fleming

Book I'm Most Anticipating in 2015


Series Ending I'm Most Anticipating 2015


One thing I hope to do in my blogging life in 2015:

GO TO KIDLITCON!!!





10 comments:

  1. Oh yes please come to Kidlitcon!

    And thanks for the heads up on the new Penderiwicks book--yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try my best.

      I want that Penderwicks book so much. People have ARCs and are sharing things on Twitter and that's not helping.

      Delete
  2. I always love these kind of posts. I have my fingers crossed for you on Kidlitcon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun to do. It makes me think about my year of reading carefully.

      Delete
  3. Yes! The Penderwicks in Spring is near the top of my list as well. So excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see how she's grown them all up.

      Delete
  4. One of the best things about these big end-of-year surveys is that I find so many new blogs to explore! And my TBR list has grown so comically long... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love the new bloggers I discover, but man my TBR doesn't need anything new added to it.

      Delete
  5. Something Real was surprisingly good!! I loved everything about it... especially Patrick!

    Hopefully you end up going to Kidlitcon!

    Tabitha @ Tabitha's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. This survey looks so fun (the first time I typed that it autocorrected to "surgery". Ookkaaayyy). I was too late to participate this year since all my posts are scheduled until January, but I definitely want to try it next year.

    ReplyDelete