Tuesday, August 4, 2015

TTT: Fairytale Retellings


This week's TTT topic: Favorite Fairy Tale Retellings

Tam Lin Retellings (I know it's a ballad but it's old and there are faeries. I count it.)


 Cinderella:

 12 Dancing Princesses and Frog Prince (a two for one!):
Sleeping Beauty:

 All things Hans Christian Anderson, but particularly The Snow Queen:

My favorite fairy tales are "Beauty and the Beast" and "East of the Sun, West of the Moon", both of which derive from the myth of Cupid (Eros) and Psyche. Consequently, I judge retellings of these much harder than any others. Here are my favorite retellings of all three:

For taking my favorite fairy tale and showing the darker side of it and doing it so brilliantly (also with Hades/Persephone elements, but its connected and essential to those others I love too):



And while not a direct retelling, this has enough elements for me to count it with as THE BEST book that nods to my favorite tales:

And the winner for most creative use of fairy tales in novels goes to Laura Florand, who manages to put a fairy tale in almost every single one of her contemporary romances (they are all awesome and you should read them):



What are some of your favorite retellings?

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOU FOREVER! All because you have "Fire and Hemlock" on your list. That is one of my favorite favorite books, and definitely one of my tops written by Diana Wynne Jones. I love Tam Lin retellings and I am SO happy to see this one someone elses list!

    Auggie @ AuggieTalk

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't even occur to me to add the Queen of Attolia to my list! We have Ella Enchanted and Cruel Beauty in common. And I love that you, me and Maureen all have Laura Florand in our lists. Great minds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of Laura Florand - going to check her out! My TTT list

    ReplyDelete