Friday, January 20, 2017

ALA Youth Media Awards

Today is the day I'm on a plane to Atalanta to attend the American Library Association's Midwinter Meeting. The height of Midwinter every year is the Monday morning announcements of the Youth Media Awards. Monday morning we will learn the winners of the 2017 Newbery, Caldecott, Printz, and the many other awards given by ALSC and YALSA.

I feel like I am way out of sync with the majority of kidlit aficionados this year so I fear I  may not see many of my favorites get nods.

What I would most like to see come away with a shiny Newbery sticker:

What I would most like to see come away with a shiny Printz sticker:


I don't have many strong opinions on the other awards. This was a super off year for me in a lot of respects. I'm rather hoping this weekend renews my excitement and energy. 

Does anyone else have any favorites for Monday morning? 


2 comments:

  1. Have fun and safe travels! The Inquisitor's Tale is one I'd love to see honored this year, but the literary-type fiction that the award committees usually love isn't what I usually read, so I'm not holding my breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you were happy on Monday!

      I feel more and more cynical about the whole process and the celebrity power of certain people in kidlit every year. (The more you know...)

      Delete