Tuesday, January 21, 2014

TTT: Reading Wish List


This week's TTT topic: Things on My Reading Wishlist

1. Friendships
I love romance, don't get me wrong. But friendship is an important part of everyone's life too and I love reading stories (such as Code Name Verity or Sorow's Knot) where friendship is the most important element of the story, and romance is not a part of that relationship at all.

2. Sibling Stories
MG books are good at this, but YA books aren't as much. I would like to see more of it in YA.

3. More Family Stories
I love Amy Spalding's books because she writes about families and how every member of a family impacts the others. I wish we had more books like this.

4. FUN Fantasy
like The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas or The Nightmare Dilemma by Mindee Arnett

5. Christian Protagonists
There really aren't a whole lot when you think about it.

6. Failure that Doesn't Lead to Romance
Let a YA protagonist fail and learn to move on without the help of true love.

7. Search for Change in Life that Doesn't Lead to Romance
See #6.

8. Diversity in Main Characters
Not everyone in the world is white middle class. Protagonists should reflect this.

9. Homeschoolers WHO AREN'T THE QUIRKY WEIRD KIDS
Really I don't know where people get this idea. Homeschool kids have a different school environment but they are not quirky or weird. Any more so than traditionally schooled kids anyway.

As a bonus, one thing I want to see less of:
SURVIVAL STORIES
I don't do survival. I don't do nature. I'm over this whole trend.

What is on your wish list?


14 comments:

  1. I have more sibling stories (sister stories) on my list as well. I'd also love more fun fantasy as well. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Any I really enjoy fun fantasy. Don't always want the angst doom-is-nigh kind.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to see more friendship stories in YA too, and I'd also like to see more diversity in YA stories. The last five stories I've picked up have had a white, red-haired lead, oddly enough.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red hair thing is out of control right now. It's the new green eyes.

      Delete
  3. #5 is one I would to read more in books! Unless you're reading a Christian Fiction book, you rarely read books with Christian main characters in it. It doesn't have to be the main part of the book, but it would be nice to have a Christian main character outside of Christian Fiction!

    #9: YES! I'm homeschooled and it's really annoying to read books where the only homeschooler is weird/not very smart/mean/or any other bad stereotype that's annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #5 Yes, exactly. And I don't like the formulas used in Christian fiction.

      #9 I homeschool my kids and I teach at a homeschool co-op we are a part of one day a week. Very few homeschooler kids are as they are presented in books, and the ones who are would be that way if they went to traditional school too.

      Delete
  4. Great list! I think we definitely need more YA novels where romance isn't the main focus or isn't a really bid aspect. It'd be nice to have a ya book that doesn't have a romance at all. Great picks :)

    My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking for more Middle Grade invention and SF books that are NOT dystopias. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just recommend this one to Maureen, but have you ever read The Crowfield Curse? It's set in a monestary, so gives you a tick in the Christian box, and it is about friendship, and it is also scary and memorable and wonderful....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have. I enjoyed it but never did read this sequel. I need to do that. Thanks for reminding me!

      Delete
  7. I was giggling over the ones we had in common.

    Also re: "quirky" homeschoolers - I am TOTALLY weird, but that's not homeschooling's fault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike.

      And yes you are weird, spider girl. But you would probably be so if you wen to a traditional school too. :)

      Delete
  8. My favorite in your list is FUN Fantasy. That would definitely be an interesting read. :) Thanks for sharing and for dropping by my TTT post earlier. :)

    ReplyDelete