Tuesday, August 2, 2016

TTT: Books I'd Buy with a Fully Loaded Gift Card


This week's TTT topic: Books You Would Buy If Someone Handed You a Fully Loaded Book Card

I want nice editions of all my favorite classics. My husband gave me the entire set of Jane Austen Penguin hardcovers for Christmas last year, but I also want:



Can we pause for a moment and appreciate the knitting image on A Tale of Two Cities and the heart image on Frankenstein? Well played, designers. 

I have the Peter/Harriet books with the reissued UK covers, but I really want the entire series, which would put me well over ten for this so here are the two I want the most:

 I have most of the reissued UK covers of Diana Wynne Jones books, but there are still a few I'm missing:


Why did they never redo the Dalemark books in this style? If I were wishing for things that didn't exist....(That's a topic for a whole other post though.)

And last but not least, this UK edition (this book is called The Lost Conspiracy in the US):


I left this one bigger so you could fully appreciate its beauty.

Why are UK cover designs typically so much better? 



SaveSave

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think UK covers are just so much better than the alternatives. I especially love the looks of Gullstruck Island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and I do wonder at the difference. I lived in England from ages 8-12 which are incredibly formative years. That probably has some influence on me, though many other Americans share my opinion. :)

      Delete
  2. Good question about why are the covers in UK better. I think publishers make decisions and then stick with the theme of what has already sold here in the US so they on't want to deviate too far off from past success. Thanks for visiting my blog. I like our choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but that is why all US book covers look alike. It's annoying (for me).

      Delete
  3. I really like the cover of Gullstruck Island. I'm trying to add to my classic hardcovers as well. Those heart images for Frankenstein are perfect. My TTT link

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The GI cover is so layered. I love it. And the hearts on Frankenstein. That is my favorite of these new Penguin classic covers.

      Delete
  4. Hope you receive the books you want soon. Happy reading!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/08/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-id-buy-right.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lent someone my copy of Gullstruck Island (original UK cover) a few months ago and never got it back, so I sprang for this edition! Bonus: it matches my other UK copies. I LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the cover version of A Face Like Glass that's similar as well. I'm really interested to see what the US cover for that will look like. (I heard a rumor there finally going to publish it here!!!)

      Delete
  6. I don't have any of these but if I did, I'd willingly send them to you! Most of the books in Manila are US editions so I used to think UK editions always looked prettier. Here in Singapore, we mostly get UK editions and now I think US editions look better! It's a case of the grass is always greener on the other side.

    ReplyDelete