Skip to main content

My Adventures in Prydain, Then and Now

Some may remember that in 1985 Disney made an animated version of The Black Cauldron. If you were unaware of this or had forgotten it, lucky you.  It is an atrocity.  I saw it when it finally made its way to the theater on the Air Force base my dad was stationed at in England in the 80's, so sometime after January of 1986. Fortunately, our school librarian introduced us to the book first so I was interested in reading it despite the horror that was the movie (and yes, I even thought it was awful as a child).  But for some reason I only read The Black Cauldron and The Castle of Llyr.  Not sure how I missed out on the existence of the other three books, The Book of Three, Taran Wanderer, and The High King.  I remember enjoying them immensely at the time and for a couple of months little eight year old me spent much free time pretending to be Princess Eilonwy.  I recently reread the books, this time reading the rest of them too.

I really enjoyed reading this series and wished someone had insisted I read the whole thing as a child.  When I first began reading The Book of Three a few months ago I couldn't help thinking......this is familiar.  Unlikely hero of uncertain parentage who has never strayed far from home is suddenly way over his head and on a quest of daring and dangerous proportions.  Old Enchanter who is wise but not forthcoming with pertinent information.  Noble Prince who rides around disguised as a common traveler.  Odd little creature way too attached to food who can not speak in proper sentences.  Mysterious shadowy Lord of Death who has citadel from which he sends flying scary things and manufactured soldiers that can not die.  Grumpy little dwarf with axe and heart of gold.  Obviously, there is a lot in these books that is similar to Tolkien.  I am pretty sure that is because Lloyd Alexander and J.R.R. Tolkien were using some of the same mythology to build their worlds.  There are differences too and by the time I finished all five I could see why two of them were given the honor of bearing those shiny Newbery medallions.

Taran is Assistant Pig Keeper at Caer Dallben.  His duties involve caring for the oracular pig, Hen Wen.  He has no idea who his parents are and has been raised by the enchanter Dallben, keeper of the mysterious Book of Three, and Coll, who tends the farm.  Taran longs to be a hero and have adventures.  When Hen Wen runs off one day in fear Taran follows her, vowing to return her.  Soon after leaving home he meets Prince Gwydion (who rescues Taran from his own foolishness many many times) and learns of the rising threat of Arawn, the Death Lord.  During the first book Taran meets the companions that will have the largest impact on his life and future:  Gurgi (the faithful hairy always hungry creature), Fflewddur Fflam (the wannabe bard and sometimes king), Doli (grumpy dwarf), and Eilonwy (beautiful golden haired Princess of obnoxiousness Llyr).

The course of the five novels follow Taran's journey from boy to man and it is a remarkable story.  His character arc is what made the story  engrossing for me.  He goes from wanting to be hero to simply wanting to be Taran.  And in simply being Taran finds that a hero is what he is.  This is a complicated and painful process.  He gains much wisdom and patience, all of which will be required in his future (particularly the patience as Eilonwy will probably always be trying his).  Watching his relationship with Eilonwy as it grew and changed was just good fun.  I have to say that I really like Eilonwy (and not just because I have fond memories of pretending to be her).  Her character is rather grating in the first part of the series.  She is opinionated and not afraid to let her opinion be known.  She is headstrong, stubborn, prefers swords to crowns and  sleeping outside to feather beds.  Her character became less obnoxious as the series progressed and I don't if it is because she changed or because Taran's perception of her changed, and therefore mine as the reader did as well.     

These books make a great introduction into the world of sword and sorcery fantasy for children.  And there is a lot of wisdom in the books that would benefit any age reader.  So, if like me, you missed out on these as a kid I recommend reading them now.  They are worth it.  And you should definitely give them to your own kids.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Kissing Scenes

When thinking of a favorite things post I could do for February I decided it would have to be kissing. I've already done couples and I was feeling in the mood to do something fluffy and Valentine's related. So kisses it is. I read more MG than YA, and the YA I read tends to not focus on romance so this was actually harder than I expected it to be though a few jumped into my head right away. (And one of my choices does actually come from a MG book. One is adult. Gasp!) The actual scene from the book is quoted followed by my thoughts. The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and a groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day . - The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Turner doesn't write the

TTT: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly themed blog hop created by  The Broke and the Bookish  and now hosted at  That Artsy Reader Girl . This Week's Topic: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List From Most Recent to Least: What books have recently caught your eye?

Serafina and the Black Cloak

Serafina and the Black Cloak  by Robert Beatty is a thrilling tale of mystery and adventure set at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC in 1899. Having lived in Asheville and visited the house several times, there was no way I was going to pass up a chance to read this. (Also it's MG fantasy, always a bonus for me.) Serafina lives in secret in the basement of the Vanderbilt's spacious vacation home. She has lived there most of her life. Her father worked on the house as it was being built and is the mechanic who runs the massive generator and keeps the electricity going. Serafina is the chief rat catcher, slipping through the halls of her massive home secretly and quietly. She is light on her feet, sees well in the dark, and is quick enough to catch the vermin and keep them out. Serafina knows she if different and strange. Her father insists she stay hidden. But all that changes when one night Serafina witnesses a horrible crime. A little girl, a guest in the house, is fleein

This Side of Home

What attracted me to This Side of Home by Renee Watson was the cover. The story hooked my interest. The characters made me fall in love. Maya has lived her entire life in the same neighborhood in Portland hanging out with the same group of friends: her twin sister Nikki, their best friend Essence, and Ronnie, Malachi, and Devin-three boys her father mentors. They have plans for the future that involve each other: prom, college, life. But things in their neighborhood are changing. People are moving in and starting new businesses. Property values are going up as a result. In addition to change, this is also causing trouble. Essence has to move out of her  house when the owner decides he can make more money selling it than renting it. The racial demographics of the school, which has been mostly African American, is shifting. This presents new challenges and choices for Maya and her friends. It brings new people into their lives at the same time. Maya has to figure out how-and if-she wa

Shorter Musings MG Fantasy

Here are some shorter musings on recent MG fantasy reads. Anya and the Dragon   by Sofiya Pasternack This book is fun. It is a book full of adventure, an obvious bad guy, some more complicated morally gray area characters, and a strong, brave heroine. It is also a book about friendships, community, and fighting for what is right. All things that usually work for me really well. While I enjoyed this, I did feel it was a little overlong and there were certain plot points at the end I didn't love. However, there were things I thought were done really well, such as Anya's Jewish faith and the idea that power needs to be challenged. In the end it was a middle of the road read for me, but it is one I will certainly be recommending to dragon and fantasy adventure lovers I know! R is for Rebel   by J. Anderson Coats This is tough because I usually really like Coats's books. I had such a hard time with this one though on so many levels. It's difficult to get into because t