Skip to main content

Jinx's Magic

Jinx (my thoughts) was one of my favorite reads of 2013. I fell in love with the characters and the world they inhabited. It is always a bit scary when you go back to characters and a world you love so much in a sequel. Exciting too though. And lovers of Jinx, Simon, and the Urwald have nothing to fear from Jinx's Magic. Sage Blackwood outdid herself in this one. 

If you haven't read Jinx yet, go and do that NOW. Then come back and read this.


Synopsis: 
Jinx knows he can do magic. But he doesn't know why he's being stalked by a werewolf with a notebook, why the trees are starting to take back the only safe paths through the Urwald, or why the elves think Jinx and the evil Bonemaster are somehow connected.
Jinx's perilous search for answers takes him to the desert land of Samara, where, according to the wizard Simon, he just might find the ancient magic he needs to defeat the Bonemaster and unite the Urwald. But Jinx finds himself in a centuries-old conspiracy that places the Urwald in even greater danger.


In book one Jinx went from being a child to an adolescent. His independent streak is growing, he rolls his eyes a lot at the adults in his life, and he is questioning many things. He is still a boy who is confused by many things in life and needs help. He wants to know the people who care for him are still around. He is exactly everything a thirteen year old boy should be. I enjoyed watching his character grow more and how he interacted with the people around him. The first part of the story involves Jinx getting Reven out of the Urwald as he promised he would. Reven continues to be conniving, manipulative, and obnoxious and I loved when Jinx finally had enough. Elfwyn plays a role in this story as well. I really enjoy what is happening with her character and am eager to see where it will lead. 

I continue to adore Simon oh so much, particularly in his relationship with Jinx. Jinx looks up to him so much, but is also annoyed with him. He wants Simon to allow him to do what he needs. Simon has other ideas about what is needed. The push and pull between these two is so utterly genuine that any one who has ever grown up and had to deal with the changing dynamic with their parents will get it completely. Simon is often telling Jinx in various ways to "drop his attitude". Jinx's attitude's not going anywhere. And every conversation between these two is funny and yet filled with emotion too. Sophie also returns in this book and is still lovely and wonderful. I hope we see even more of her in the next book.


Two new characters are introduced as well. Jinx meets both Wendell and Satya in Samara. They are his friends when he desperately needs them even though he doesn't completely trust Satya. Wendell is my favorite of the secondary character in the book now. I enjoyed his outlook on life, his loyalty, and his courage. 


The story continues from where the first book left off. The Bonemaster breaks free of his bonds, Reven and his "kingdom" are a threat to the Urwald, and the trees keep telling Jinx things he doesn't understand. Also some troublesome elves make a mysterious appearance that does not bode well for our hero. Half of the story takes place in the Urwald where Jinx is contending with the demands on the Listener, Simon, and the Bonemaster breaking through his wards. The other half takes place in Samara where Jinx is contending with learning as much as he can while also navigating the political intrigue and secretive workings of the Temple. The Urwald and Samara are very different and both are described so well. The imagery Blackwood uses and how well thought out the world-building is makes me feel like I'm actually there. I could not put the book down. Every page had some piece of information, some wonderful piece of dialogue, or some adventure to keep reading on until I was finished far too fast. It was one of those experiences where I turned the last page, sighed because there was no more to read, and then hugged the book. 


To say that I'm excited for the third book would be an understatement. Of immense proportions.

I read an ARC won in a giveaway from the author. I also received an e-galley from the publisher, Katherine Tegen Books, on Edelweiss. Jinx's Magic comes out on January 7.

Comments

Charlotte said…
I am so so so going to the bookstore on January 7!!!!!!
Brandy said…
It will be worth it!!!
KateCoombs said…
Excellent! I liked Jinx very much, so between that and your review, I've clearly got to get the sequel. By the way, I haven't been over here for a while, but I love your new (to me) background!
Brandy said…
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

(And thanks!)

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Kissing Scenes

When thinking of a favorite things post I could do for February I decided it would have to be kissing. I've already done couples and I was feeling in the mood to do something fluffy and Valentine's related. So kisses it is. I read more MG than YA, and the YA I read tends to not focus on romance so this was actually harder than I expected it to be though a few jumped into my head right away. (And one of my choices does actually come from a MG book. One is adult. Gasp!) The actual scene from the book is quoted followed by my thoughts. The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and a groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day . - The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Turner doesn't write the

TTT: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly themed blog hop created by  The Broke and the Bookish  and now hosted at  That Artsy Reader Girl . This Week's Topic: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List From Most Recent to Least: What books have recently caught your eye?

This Side of Home

What attracted me to This Side of Home by Renee Watson was the cover. The story hooked my interest. The characters made me fall in love. Maya has lived her entire life in the same neighborhood in Portland hanging out with the same group of friends: her twin sister Nikki, their best friend Essence, and Ronnie, Malachi, and Devin-three boys her father mentors. They have plans for the future that involve each other: prom, college, life. But things in their neighborhood are changing. People are moving in and starting new businesses. Property values are going up as a result. In addition to change, this is also causing trouble. Essence has to move out of her  house when the owner decides he can make more money selling it than renting it. The racial demographics of the school, which has been mostly African American, is shifting. This presents new challenges and choices for Maya and her friends. It brings new people into their lives at the same time. Maya has to figure out how-and if-she wa

Serafina and the Black Cloak

Serafina and the Black Cloak  by Robert Beatty is a thrilling tale of mystery and adventure set at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC in 1899. Having lived in Asheville and visited the house several times, there was no way I was going to pass up a chance to read this. (Also it's MG fantasy, always a bonus for me.) Serafina lives in secret in the basement of the Vanderbilt's spacious vacation home. She has lived there most of her life. Her father worked on the house as it was being built and is the mechanic who runs the massive generator and keeps the electricity going. Serafina is the chief rat catcher, slipping through the halls of her massive home secretly and quietly. She is light on her feet, sees well in the dark, and is quick enough to catch the vermin and keep them out. Serafina knows she if different and strange. Her father insists she stay hidden. But all that changes when one night Serafina witnesses a horrible crime. A little girl, a guest in the house, is fleein

Shorter Musings MG Fantasy

Here are some shorter musings on recent MG fantasy reads. Anya and the Dragon   by Sofiya Pasternack This book is fun. It is a book full of adventure, an obvious bad guy, some more complicated morally gray area characters, and a strong, brave heroine. It is also a book about friendships, community, and fighting for what is right. All things that usually work for me really well. While I enjoyed this, I did feel it was a little overlong and there were certain plot points at the end I didn't love. However, there were things I thought were done really well, such as Anya's Jewish faith and the idea that power needs to be challenged. In the end it was a middle of the road read for me, but it is one I will certainly be recommending to dragon and fantasy adventure lovers I know! R is for Rebel   by J. Anderson Coats This is tough because I usually really like Coats's books. I had such a hard time with this one though on so many levels. It's difficult to get into because t