Skip to main content

Just One Year

I, like so many other, read Gayle Forman's Just One Day (my thoughts) with much anticipation and excitement. I was a little more wary of Just One Year than most though, which is why it has taken me this long to read it. I loved Allyson's story and I was actually a-okay with how it ended. I liked the mystery and that I could fill in the gaps myself. I was a little worried that getting Willem's side of the story would take away from that. I enjoyed it just as much though, and was pleasantly surprised by that.

Synopsis:
When he opens his eyes, Willem doesn’t know where in the world he is—Prague or Dubrovnik or back in Amsterdam. All he knows is that he is once again alone, and that he needs to find a girl named Lulu. They shared one magical day in Paris, and something about that day—that girl—makes Willem wonder if they aren’t fated to be together. He travels all over the world, from Mexico to India, hoping to reconnect with her. But as months go by and Lulu remains elusive, Willem starts to question if the hand of fate is as strong as he’d thought. . . .

My favorite part of this duology is that it is not just a romance. The romance is there, but it is a spark that sends both Allyson and Willem on their paths of self discovery. It is those stories that made me fall in love with both of them, and I appreciated how their journeys mirrored each other. They are incredibly similar but with enough contrast to match their differing life places and personalities. Both of them are struggling to figure out what they really want in life, Allyson with too much parental direction and Willem without enough. Like Allyson, Willem has issues he needs to work through with his mother. They are different issues but his relationship with her is strained in a similar way. (His mother is far more likable though.)  Shakespeare plays a huge part in bringing both of them to a realization of what they want and how to proceed with their lives. In Willem's story travel also plays a big part as he goes around the world in search of a plan and purpose. 

One thing that really bothered me about Willem's character all along was how he used girls and sex as therapy. His careless attitude is what had Allyson wary of him and there was enough evidence in her story of the trail of broken hearts he left in his wake. While these girls allowed themselves to be used, and so are also to blame, I really hated that he never seemed to notice they were people as well as sexual partners. And that changed so much over the course of his story making me feel far more satisfied with his character arc than I was expecting. More importantly, I like that it wasn't Allyson coming back into his life that changed it but his altering perspective on his own life and seeing his own flaws in a different light. I like flawed characters because that makes them believable, and Willem is certainly flawed, but I also like to see characters who grow and try to see their flaws. Willem does this, some things he accepts about himself, but he changes SO MUCH. Part of that is his finishing the grieving process for his father, but a lot of it is him discovering who he wants to be. It was a fascinating journey to be a part of and I was unable to put the book down until it was finished. 

I can see some readers being annoyed with the ending, but I LOVED what she did. It leaves so much up to the imagination and possibility. And that's what these books were ultimately about, the limitless possibilities of life and love. 

Comments

Kritika said…
I haven't read either book in this duology, but I loved If I stay and Where She Went. Your review makes me want to read these books too! I really like flawed characters as well - you connect to them so much more when they grow and change instead of just starting out near-perfect.

- Kritika @ Snowflakes & Spider silk
Brandy said…
I think my final verdict is I like these better than If I Stay/Where She Went BUT these are more my type of story than those were.

Flawed characters are the best. Otherwise they are just so unreal, but I also like to see growth. I'm so hard to please.
Christina said…
Bahaha, I misread your review to say that her mother was more likable and I was like GIRL, WHUT. Then I laughed, because no one would have really said that. I liked Yael a lot actually, for being so not a stereotypical woman or mother.

I actually liked that Willem was a bit of an ass because I wouldn't have believed it otherwise.

I still really don't like the ending. It would have been better if it ended RIGHT where Just One Day ended even. The kiss and comparison to his parents was too cheesy for me. I can't even.
Brandy said…
I liked that too. But I wouldn't have liked it without the growth. Just being an ass for an entire book would not have appealed to me. :)

I think you may be right. Ending it in the EXACT same place would have been a better less cheesy way to go.

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Kissing Scenes

When thinking of a favorite things post I could do for February I decided it would have to be kissing. I've already done couples and I was feeling in the mood to do something fluffy and Valentine's related. So kisses it is. I read more MG than YA, and the YA I read tends to not focus on romance so this was actually harder than I expected it to be though a few jumped into my head right away. (And one of my choices does actually come from a MG book. One is adult. Gasp!) The actual scene from the book is quoted followed by my thoughts. The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and a groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day . - The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Turner doesn't write the

TTT: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly themed blog hop created by  The Broke and the Bookish  and now hosted at  That Artsy Reader Girl . This Week's Topic: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List From Most Recent to Least: What books have recently caught your eye?

This Side of Home

What attracted me to This Side of Home by Renee Watson was the cover. The story hooked my interest. The characters made me fall in love. Maya has lived her entire life in the same neighborhood in Portland hanging out with the same group of friends: her twin sister Nikki, their best friend Essence, and Ronnie, Malachi, and Devin-three boys her father mentors. They have plans for the future that involve each other: prom, college, life. But things in their neighborhood are changing. People are moving in and starting new businesses. Property values are going up as a result. In addition to change, this is also causing trouble. Essence has to move out of her  house when the owner decides he can make more money selling it than renting it. The racial demographics of the school, which has been mostly African American, is shifting. This presents new challenges and choices for Maya and her friends. It brings new people into their lives at the same time. Maya has to figure out how-and if-she wa

Serafina and the Black Cloak

Serafina and the Black Cloak  by Robert Beatty is a thrilling tale of mystery and adventure set at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC in 1899. Having lived in Asheville and visited the house several times, there was no way I was going to pass up a chance to read this. (Also it's MG fantasy, always a bonus for me.) Serafina lives in secret in the basement of the Vanderbilt's spacious vacation home. She has lived there most of her life. Her father worked on the house as it was being built and is the mechanic who runs the massive generator and keeps the electricity going. Serafina is the chief rat catcher, slipping through the halls of her massive home secretly and quietly. She is light on her feet, sees well in the dark, and is quick enough to catch the vermin and keep them out. Serafina knows she if different and strange. Her father insists she stay hidden. But all that changes when one night Serafina witnesses a horrible crime. A little girl, a guest in the house, is fleein

Shorter Musings MG Fantasy

Here are some shorter musings on recent MG fantasy reads. Anya and the Dragon   by Sofiya Pasternack This book is fun. It is a book full of adventure, an obvious bad guy, some more complicated morally gray area characters, and a strong, brave heroine. It is also a book about friendships, community, and fighting for what is right. All things that usually work for me really well. While I enjoyed this, I did feel it was a little overlong and there were certain plot points at the end I didn't love. However, there were things I thought were done really well, such as Anya's Jewish faith and the idea that power needs to be challenged. In the end it was a middle of the road read for me, but it is one I will certainly be recommending to dragon and fantasy adventure lovers I know! R is for Rebel   by J. Anderson Coats This is tough because I usually really like Coats's books. I had such a hard time with this one though on so many levels. It's difficult to get into because t