Skip to main content

Finding My Words

Things have been slow on the blog lately and that's because for a while there I lost all my words. I've been feeling a lot these past few weeks and all of it was overwhelming. There has been anxiety and fear, but also a fierce need to DO something. That overwhelmed me all the more, and I couldn't help but feel like this space was frivolous and maybe not the best use of my time in the face of everything else going on. But I kept reading because without books and words I don't know what I would be. As always, reading helped me find a path even if I still can't see the end of it and the shadows are looming dark.

There are many recent or upcoming releases I've read that speak to the heart of where we are as a nation, and I've realized that boosting those voices is important. My space here is small and my voice is not loud, but I'm going to use it to the best of my ability.

Because books speak to the heart. They build empathy. They force us to see people, not issues. They are important in engaging with and understanding humanity. When you are talking about books for children, that is all the more important. These books are excellent reads for anyone and everyone though, not just children.

I'm going to highlight some new and upcoming releases that I think are releasing at a propitious time. Remember that books take time: writing, acquiring, editing, scheduling, publishing. These have all been in the making for years. They aren't coming out now because of an "agenda". They are simply timely.


The Rooster Who Would Not Be Quiet by Carmen Agra Deedy (out now)
In this colorful, vibrant picture book Deedy tells the story of a village that is happy but noisy. They elect a new mayor Don Pepe, who promised peace and quiet. He delivers with laws that forbid even the smallest of noises. But there is a rooster who can not quiet his voice. When the mayor threatens to chop down the mango tree the rooster lives in to stop his singing, the rooster replies, "I may sing a less cheerful song. But I will sing." I attended a talk by Deedy at ALA Midwinter and she pointed out, "Democracy is noisy." When all voices but the ones who agree with you are silenced, you no longer have a democracy. May we all be this rooster who didn't look to be a hero, but could not remain silent.


Midnight Without a Moon by Linda Williams Jackson (out now
This is a story of America's past that speaks to our present. As we have a President breathing threats of cracking down on voting rights and an Attorney General nominee who wants to roll back the progress gained through the Voting Rights Act, I think it is important to look at where we were just 60 years ago, and what prices were paid to move us forward.

 Amina's Voice by Hena Khan (releases March 17)
This is the first release from Salaam Reads, a new imprint of Simon & Schuster. It is the story of Pakistani American girl who lives in Wisconsin with her family. It is a story of school, friendship, family, and all the things that make a MG novel accessible to its tween audience. In this case the main character happens to be a Muslim immigrant. I read this last week the day after the Executive Order on immigration was signed, a few days prior to the attack on the Mosque in Quebec. Never have I felt like a book was more timely or important. This is a book full of hope and the power of community and is an excellent look into the lives of Muslim immigrants for the many I know out there who have never actually met one.

 Miss Ellicott's School for the Magically Minded by Sage Blackwood (releases March 21)
Yes, this is a fantasy involving magic and a dragon. It completely belongs here. Because those adorable little children on the cover? They live in a walled city. A city that has been cut off from the rest of the world by choice for centuries. This was against the wishes of a former queen of the city who refused to have a wall built because, "She said a wall becomes a wall in the mind, and she wanted no walls for her people." She was not wrong because while the wall keeps the city "safe" (sort of but not really), it also keeps the people in and completely reliant on a government who can now control all their information (not to mention their food supply). Attesting to the talents of Blackwood's writing in addition to being insightful and timely, the book really is as fun and adventurous as the cover implies.

 American Street by Ibi Zoboi (releases February 14)
This is an excellent look at what life is like for one girl as she moves from Haiti to Detroit. It tells the hard stories of people living lives that are far from easy while trying to attain a dream of America that they feel they can't reach and wasn't really meant for them anyway. It is beautiful and heart breaking and should be required reading before anyone voices an opinion about crime and the inner city.

And here are some older books (released in last few years or more) that I feel speak to current events and issues:



Does anyone have any other books they feel need boosting right now?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Kissing Scenes

When thinking of a favorite things post I could do for February I decided it would have to be kissing. I've already done couples and I was feeling in the mood to do something fluffy and Valentine's related. So kisses it is. I read more MG than YA, and the YA I read tends to not focus on romance so this was actually harder than I expected it to be though a few jumped into my head right away. (And one of my choices does actually come from a MG book. One is adult. Gasp!) The actual scene from the book is quoted followed by my thoughts. The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and a groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day . - The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Turner doesn't write the

TTT: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly themed blog hop created by  The Broke and the Bookish  and now hosted at  That Artsy Reader Girl . This Week's Topic: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List From Most Recent to Least: What books have recently caught your eye?

Serafina and the Black Cloak

Serafina and the Black Cloak  by Robert Beatty is a thrilling tale of mystery and adventure set at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC in 1899. Having lived in Asheville and visited the house several times, there was no way I was going to pass up a chance to read this. (Also it's MG fantasy, always a bonus for me.) Serafina lives in secret in the basement of the Vanderbilt's spacious vacation home. She has lived there most of her life. Her father worked on the house as it was being built and is the mechanic who runs the massive generator and keeps the electricity going. Serafina is the chief rat catcher, slipping through the halls of her massive home secretly and quietly. She is light on her feet, sees well in the dark, and is quick enough to catch the vermin and keep them out. Serafina knows she if different and strange. Her father insists she stay hidden. But all that changes when one night Serafina witnesses a horrible crime. A little girl, a guest in the house, is fleein

Shorter Musings MG Fantasy

Here are some shorter musings on recent MG fantasy reads. Anya and the Dragon   by Sofiya Pasternack This book is fun. It is a book full of adventure, an obvious bad guy, some more complicated morally gray area characters, and a strong, brave heroine. It is also a book about friendships, community, and fighting for what is right. All things that usually work for me really well. While I enjoyed this, I did feel it was a little overlong and there were certain plot points at the end I didn't love. However, there were things I thought were done really well, such as Anya's Jewish faith and the idea that power needs to be challenged. In the end it was a middle of the road read for me, but it is one I will certainly be recommending to dragon and fantasy adventure lovers I know! R is for Rebel   by J. Anderson Coats This is tough because I usually really like Coats's books. I had such a hard time with this one though on so many levels. It's difficult to get into because t

This Side of Home

What attracted me to This Side of Home by Renee Watson was the cover. The story hooked my interest. The characters made me fall in love. Maya has lived her entire life in the same neighborhood in Portland hanging out with the same group of friends: her twin sister Nikki, their best friend Essence, and Ronnie, Malachi, and Devin-three boys her father mentors. They have plans for the future that involve each other: prom, college, life. But things in their neighborhood are changing. People are moving in and starting new businesses. Property values are going up as a result. In addition to change, this is also causing trouble. Essence has to move out of her  house when the owner decides he can make more money selling it than renting it. The racial demographics of the school, which has been mostly African American, is shifting. This presents new challenges and choices for Maya and her friends. It brings new people into their lives at the same time. Maya has to figure out how-and if-she wa