Skip to main content

Listenting to Gary Schmidt

At the University of Tennessee we have this wonderful entity called the Center for Children's and Young Adult Literature. They are pretty awesome. One of the awesome things they do is bring authors and illustrators to our area and then schools are able to share them for the few days they are here. This time also involves a lecture given at UT. This fall's guest was Gary D. Schmidt the absolutely fabulous author of many amazing books including Okay for Now, The Wednesday Wars, and Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy. I was able to go to his talk this past Tuesday and let me tell you, I could have listened to him all night. He speaks as well as he writes. Which is saying something. I didn't bring a notepad with me and so took notes on a pack of post-its that was in my purse. I used a lot of post its.

 Schmidt started out by telling us a story about his uncle to demonstrate how a young minds internalize things. He moved on to tell a story of Naaman from the Bible (2 Kings 5) to illustrate how the world is complex and that, while it would be nice if all situations had a clear right or wrong solution, we don't live in that sort of world. He told the story well. He then went on to discuss how in his books he tries to show some rite of passage from childhood to adulthood. We don't have a key moment in our culture when this happens and some never actually manage it. He blames this largely on the adolescent world we live in. So in his books he tries to explore how that passage takes place, when a person stops looking at himself and looks outward to see how he can change the world. He also stressed that its not important that they succeed, as Turner doesn't in Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy, just that they make the decision to try. (He is often asked why that story had to  have the ending it did and his response is, "Because I'm not writing a Hallmark card.")

Some Other Interesting Tidbits:
  • He originally wrote Lizzie Bright...as a non-fiction and burnt it. He then wrote it from Lizzie's perspective and declared it awful. ("There are issues with an old fart white guy writing from the perspective of an African American young girl.")
  • The first scene of The Wednesday Wars he wrote was the scene of the race when Mrs. Baker tells Hollling to "pass those boys". He wrote it on the inside of a Milky Way wrapper in the car.
  • The premise of The Wednesday Wars actually happened to him. He was the only student left in his class every Wednesday afternoon with a teacher named Mrs. Baker who made him clean everything and then read Shakespeare. He made her nicer in the book. 
  • With Holling he wanted to tell the story of what it was like growing up with a war that was never ending. He pointed out that today's middle school students have also lived with such a war. We've been at war as long as they've been alive-we've just gotten better at hiding it from them.
  • In the Q&A he said that he identifies most with Doug's character. As a first grader he was put in the lowest reading group and by the time he was in 4th grade couldn't make it through a Dr. Seuss book, but another teacher that year took interest in him and taught him how. 
  • He has the most hilarious descriptions and thoughts on Shakespeare ever. He should really write a compendium.
The point he started with and the point he ended with was this: Stories are powerful and the stories we read when we are young are the most powerful. They never leave us. "Give a kid a book that connects and you have created a forever memory." YES! THAT IS WHY I DO WHAT I DO. 

Comments

Betsy said…
(sigh) can't help but think how AWESOME it would be to have a picture of yours truly WITH the man instead of that same old, same old :-). NEXT time we're at an author visit together, feel free to remind me of my regrets on the lack of photo for this one!!! Glad you wrote it up--it's going to be a while unfortunately for me.... Maybe I'll just link back to yours :-)
Amy said…
I am envious. This sounds like it was a fabulous presentation. Oh, there are so many authors I would love to hear speak and Gary Schmidt is one of them.

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Kissing Scenes

When thinking of a favorite things post I could do for February I decided it would have to be kissing. I've already done couples and I was feeling in the mood to do something fluffy and Valentine's related. So kisses it is. I read more MG than YA, and the YA I read tends to not focus on romance so this was actually harder than I expected it to be though a few jumped into my head right away. (And one of my choices does actually come from a MG book. One is adult. Gasp!) The actual scene from the book is quoted followed by my thoughts. The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and a groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day . - The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Turner doesn't write the

TTT: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly themed blog hop created by  The Broke and the Bookish  and now hosted at  That Artsy Reader Girl . This Week's Topic: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List From Most Recent to Least: What books have recently caught your eye?

Serafina and the Black Cloak

Serafina and the Black Cloak  by Robert Beatty is a thrilling tale of mystery and adventure set at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC in 1899. Having lived in Asheville and visited the house several times, there was no way I was going to pass up a chance to read this. (Also it's MG fantasy, always a bonus for me.) Serafina lives in secret in the basement of the Vanderbilt's spacious vacation home. She has lived there most of her life. Her father worked on the house as it was being built and is the mechanic who runs the massive generator and keeps the electricity going. Serafina is the chief rat catcher, slipping through the halls of her massive home secretly and quietly. She is light on her feet, sees well in the dark, and is quick enough to catch the vermin and keep them out. Serafina knows she if different and strange. Her father insists she stay hidden. But all that changes when one night Serafina witnesses a horrible crime. A little girl, a guest in the house, is fleein

This Side of Home

What attracted me to This Side of Home by Renee Watson was the cover. The story hooked my interest. The characters made me fall in love. Maya has lived her entire life in the same neighborhood in Portland hanging out with the same group of friends: her twin sister Nikki, their best friend Essence, and Ronnie, Malachi, and Devin-three boys her father mentors. They have plans for the future that involve each other: prom, college, life. But things in their neighborhood are changing. People are moving in and starting new businesses. Property values are going up as a result. In addition to change, this is also causing trouble. Essence has to move out of her  house when the owner decides he can make more money selling it than renting it. The racial demographics of the school, which has been mostly African American, is shifting. This presents new challenges and choices for Maya and her friends. It brings new people into their lives at the same time. Maya has to figure out how-and if-she wa

Shorter Musings MG Fantasy

Here are some shorter musings on recent MG fantasy reads. Anya and the Dragon   by Sofiya Pasternack This book is fun. It is a book full of adventure, an obvious bad guy, some more complicated morally gray area characters, and a strong, brave heroine. It is also a book about friendships, community, and fighting for what is right. All things that usually work for me really well. While I enjoyed this, I did feel it was a little overlong and there were certain plot points at the end I didn't love. However, there were things I thought were done really well, such as Anya's Jewish faith and the idea that power needs to be challenged. In the end it was a middle of the road read for me, but it is one I will certainly be recommending to dragon and fantasy adventure lovers I know! R is for Rebel   by J. Anderson Coats This is tough because I usually really like Coats's books. I had such a hard time with this one though on so many levels. It's difficult to get into because t