Skip to main content

The Crown of Embers

You know how so often a sequel is disappointing and doesn't live up to the expectations of its predecessor's brilliance? That is a fairly common experience for me. Uncommon is the sequel that is amazingly better than the book you fell in love with in the first place. The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson was such a book. Don't misunderstand me. I loved loved loved The Girl of Fire and Thorns when I read it last year. (You can read all my love filled thoughts here.) The Crown of Embers met that love and raised it to the power of infinity. I needed a book like this. One that I could lose myself in and experience without anything marring the enjoyment. This book made me have all the feelings. I kind of just want to bask in those feeling for days, so forgive me if I fail to do nothing more than fangirl through all of this.

NOTE: If you have NOT read Girl of Fire and Thorns, STOP reading  this and go read that instead. Then come back and read this.

Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Elisa is the hero of her country. She led her people to victory against a terrifying enemy, and now she is their queen. But she is only seventeen years old. Her rivals may have simply retreated, choosing stealth over battle. And no one within her court trusts her-except Hector, the commander of the royal guard, and her companions. As the country begins to crumble beneath her and her enemies emerge from the shadows, Elisa will take another journey. With a one-eyed warrior, a loyal friend, an enemy defector, and the man she is falling in love with, Elisa crosses the ocean in search of the perilous, uncharted, and mythical source of the Godstone's power. That is not all she finds. 

Elisa is, once again, out of her depth through most of the book. Or out of her perceived depth in any case. She is once more unsure of herself and her decisions. She thinks too much and does too little. She is not nearly as awkward and unsure as the young princess she was at the beginning of book one, but she certainly regressed toward that girl a little. And I loved that because it is completely realistic. Yes she is a war hero. Yes she did amazing things. They were in a different environment with people who didn't know her though. Here, back in the palace, it makes sense that she would go back to being more hesitant and less confident. I love how her character is being developed and forged through these books. She comes so far in book one. She takes a few steps back to start book two, but again comes so far by the end. This is being done through making mistakes, having to pay for them, and learning from them. It is demonstrated in her interactions with the people around her, her responses to the things that happen to her. The people around her don't tell us she's changed, she doesn't think at length on her changing, we get to see her change as the story progresses. 

The action here is pretty much non-stop from the opening scene. There are multiple assassination attempts made on Elisa, there are plots to uncover, dirty dealings going on in her court, a perilous journey to take. Fortunately, Elisa has good people she can trust and who care deeply for her that have her back. Ximena I was far more annoyed with in this book than in the first book though her behavior was the same. It was stifling Elisa though. Still she does have Elisa's best interests in mind. It was nice to see the friendship between Elisa and Mara developing even more. It was good for Elisa to have someone she could confide in. 

And of course there is Hector. Hector-who-we-did-not-get-nearly-enough-of-before. There was good reason for that, but I pretty much fell for him in the first scene he was in so when he was largely absent for most of the first book I was annoyed. No such problems this time. He is very present in this book. He is, after all, in charge of keeping Elisa alive and well. Everything about him in the story made me love him more. He is honorable to, a fault. Really. He is supportive of Elisa, but honest with her. He is prideful, and that combined with his too-much-honor make him realistically flawed. He is also tender, sweet, and conflicted.

As you can guess from the synopsis and my preceding paragraph there is more romance in the plot this time. It is so well done. It builds slowly. There are a lot of furtive glances, stolen touches, wonder, and doubt. It is a romance built on friendship and trust. My favorite part was how much conversation took place. There was open honest communication and when an obstacle was thrown in the path of the budding romance it wasn't because of a silly miscommunication-a device that is overused and greatly annoying. When they hit bumps in their road they were legitimate bumps that people in their positions would have. This is a mature relationship. We so few of those in YA novels that it makes me want to cheer. Added to that are plenty of moments to make you swoon and/or melt into a puddle. 

The end was a bit of a cliffhanger. On the one hand it made me desperately, DESPERATELY want the conclusion. On the other it completely satisfied me. Somehow in the midst of what is actually a wretched scene, Carson managed to make me laugh and cheer. That people, takes major skill and she deserves major applause for it. (I am glaring while applauding.)

So next year (sobs due to the wait) when The Bitter Kingdom comes out I will be pre-ordering a copy I can pick up the day it is released rather than having it mailed to me. That just takes too long.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Kissing Scenes

When thinking of a favorite things post I could do for February I decided it would have to be kissing. I've already done couples and I was feeling in the mood to do something fluffy and Valentine's related. So kisses it is. I read more MG than YA, and the YA I read tends to not focus on romance so this was actually harder than I expected it to be though a few jumped into my head right away. (And one of my choices does actually come from a MG book. One is adult. Gasp!) The actual scene from the book is quoted followed by my thoughts. The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and a groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day . - The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Turner doesn't write the

TTT: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly themed blog hop created by  The Broke and the Bookish  and now hosted at  That Artsy Reader Girl . This Week's Topic: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List From Most Recent to Least: What books have recently caught your eye?

Serafina and the Black Cloak

Serafina and the Black Cloak  by Robert Beatty is a thrilling tale of mystery and adventure set at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC in 1899. Having lived in Asheville and visited the house several times, there was no way I was going to pass up a chance to read this. (Also it's MG fantasy, always a bonus for me.) Serafina lives in secret in the basement of the Vanderbilt's spacious vacation home. She has lived there most of her life. Her father worked on the house as it was being built and is the mechanic who runs the massive generator and keeps the electricity going. Serafina is the chief rat catcher, slipping through the halls of her massive home secretly and quietly. She is light on her feet, sees well in the dark, and is quick enough to catch the vermin and keep them out. Serafina knows she if different and strange. Her father insists she stay hidden. But all that changes when one night Serafina witnesses a horrible crime. A little girl, a guest in the house, is fleein

This Side of Home

What attracted me to This Side of Home by Renee Watson was the cover. The story hooked my interest. The characters made me fall in love. Maya has lived her entire life in the same neighborhood in Portland hanging out with the same group of friends: her twin sister Nikki, their best friend Essence, and Ronnie, Malachi, and Devin-three boys her father mentors. They have plans for the future that involve each other: prom, college, life. But things in their neighborhood are changing. People are moving in and starting new businesses. Property values are going up as a result. In addition to change, this is also causing trouble. Essence has to move out of her  house when the owner decides he can make more money selling it than renting it. The racial demographics of the school, which has been mostly African American, is shifting. This presents new challenges and choices for Maya and her friends. It brings new people into their lives at the same time. Maya has to figure out how-and if-she wa

Shorter Musings MG Fantasy

Here are some shorter musings on recent MG fantasy reads. Anya and the Dragon   by Sofiya Pasternack This book is fun. It is a book full of adventure, an obvious bad guy, some more complicated morally gray area characters, and a strong, brave heroine. It is also a book about friendships, community, and fighting for what is right. All things that usually work for me really well. While I enjoyed this, I did feel it was a little overlong and there were certain plot points at the end I didn't love. However, there were things I thought were done really well, such as Anya's Jewish faith and the idea that power needs to be challenged. In the end it was a middle of the road read for me, but it is one I will certainly be recommending to dragon and fantasy adventure lovers I know! R is for Rebel   by J. Anderson Coats This is tough because I usually really like Coats's books. I had such a hard time with this one though on so many levels. It's difficult to get into because t