Skip to main content

Shorter Musings (YA)

Here are some shorter musings on some recent YA reads.

 Bright Smoke, Cold Fire by Rosamund Hodge
There are some aspects of this one that I really loved-the politics, the world-building, Paris. I also rather liked the fraught relationships between the four main characters and how those developed. Other than Paris, I wasn't really enamored of the other three main characters though, and found myself wanting to smack them more than hope for good things for their lives. As this is a reworking of Romeo and Juliet with necromancy, there is a lot of angst and misunderstanding. I was prepared for that. I was not prepared for this 400 plus page book to only be the first half of the story. There's going to be a sequel. And I don't think Romeo and Juliet needs to be extended to 800 pages of angst and misunderstanding. And even Paris let me down in the ability to make good decisions department in the end so I'm more than a little annoyed with all of them. Also the end INFURIATED me. If you want to read this, I recommend waiting for book two to come out so you can read them together. I don't know that I'll be here for that second book though.

By Your Side by Kasie West
I had high hopes for this. Boy and girl stuck in a library together for a weekend? All the swoon potential. Unfortunately it never moved past potential into actually swoony for me. The library portion is concluded about 1/3 of the way in. That was a lot of space to do some really great character and couple development, but a lot of it was flat. West made the hero Dax a little to silent and broody for the relationship to start clicking soon enough. After that, there were SO MANY issues. Autumn has an anxiety disorder. Dax is in CPS and has a meth addict mom. Then there is the boy Autumn thought she liked who ended up in a medically induced coma. Plus their friends. As a result the end was rushed and the romance, while sweet, never really had me invested. Still enjoyable, but not what I've come to expect from West.
I read an ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss.

Learning to Swear in America by Katie Kennedy
I didn't like this quite as much as most people I know did though I did find it an enjoyable read. Yuri is a Russian boy genius who comes to America to help deal with a meteor that is going to take out the western US (and possibly Japan). It's a fish out of water story where Yuri meets a girl who helps him see the world differently. That could have been awful but it actually worked fairly well. For me personally there was just a little too much quirky in the characters and how they came together for my enjoyment to turn into full out love. The book is full of humor and heart though and is definitely a good recommendation for teen readers. I will definitely be picking up Kennedy's next book because there was a lot of potential in the writing in this one. I think I could love another book by her the way many of my friends loved this one.

Spindle by E.K. Johnston
Spindle is trademark E.K. Johnston. That is to say it is beautiful, evocative writing with characters you will love and a plot that will tear your heart to shreds. I think I may have chosen the wrong day to read this as I was incredibly sad already. I think my love for it may have known no bounds if I had been in a different mood. As it was, I ended up wanting a little something different. However, this is exactly how the story Johnston was telling needed to unfold and as always she does a brilliant job of convincing the reader that this is how it needs to be.

The Way to Game the Walk of Shame by Jenn P. Nguyen
As a romance this didn't really work for me on any level. The boy does a lot of changing. Goes from being the school's biggest player to totally focused on the heroine. He suddenly decides to go to college and stop having issues for her. She, on the other hand, has zero character development and ends the book the same girl she was in the beginning. I didn't really like either of them though. There were some moments of fun banter but they were overshadowed by pages of zero chemistry. It made it all very hard to swallow. I was also expecting there to be a little more commentary on the societal aspect of Taylor's reputation dragged through the mud while Evan was considered a "god" and "hero" for the same thing.

Comments

Rachel Neumeier said…
I'm very glad to know that Bright Smoke Cold Fire is not a standalone. Also, now I will know to be prepared for more than average angst.
Unknown said…
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the future! Financing made easy with Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS

Have you been looking for financing options for your new business plans, Are you seeking for a loan to expand your existing business, Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and you don’t know which way to go or where to turn to? Have you been turned down by your banks? MRS. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS says YES when your banks say NO. Contact us as we offer financial services at a low and affordable interest rate of 2% for long and short term loans. Interested applicants should contact us for further loan acquisition procedures via profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

Services rendered include:

*Refinancing Loans
* Car Loan
*Truck Loans
* Home Loan
* Mortgage Loan
* Debt Consolidation Loan
* Farm Loan
* Business Loan [secure and unsecured]
* Personal Loan [secure and unsecured]
* Students Loan and so many others.

For more info; Contact us via Email: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

With Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS. you can say goodbye to all your financial crisis and difficulties as we are certified, trustworthy, reliable, efficient, fast and dynamic

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Kissing Scenes

When thinking of a favorite things post I could do for February I decided it would have to be kissing. I've already done couples and I was feeling in the mood to do something fluffy and Valentine's related. So kisses it is. I read more MG than YA, and the YA I read tends to not focus on romance so this was actually harder than I expected it to be though a few jumped into my head right away. (And one of my choices does actually come from a MG book. One is adult. Gasp!) The actual scene from the book is quoted followed by my thoughts. The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and a groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day . - The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Turner doesn't write the

TTT: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly themed blog hop created by  The Broke and the Bookish  and now hosted at  That Artsy Reader Girl . This Week's Topic: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List From Most Recent to Least: What books have recently caught your eye?

This Side of Home

What attracted me to This Side of Home by Renee Watson was the cover. The story hooked my interest. The characters made me fall in love. Maya has lived her entire life in the same neighborhood in Portland hanging out with the same group of friends: her twin sister Nikki, their best friend Essence, and Ronnie, Malachi, and Devin-three boys her father mentors. They have plans for the future that involve each other: prom, college, life. But things in their neighborhood are changing. People are moving in and starting new businesses. Property values are going up as a result. In addition to change, this is also causing trouble. Essence has to move out of her  house when the owner decides he can make more money selling it than renting it. The racial demographics of the school, which has been mostly African American, is shifting. This presents new challenges and choices for Maya and her friends. It brings new people into their lives at the same time. Maya has to figure out how-and if-she wa

Serafina and the Black Cloak

Serafina and the Black Cloak  by Robert Beatty is a thrilling tale of mystery and adventure set at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC in 1899. Having lived in Asheville and visited the house several times, there was no way I was going to pass up a chance to read this. (Also it's MG fantasy, always a bonus for me.) Serafina lives in secret in the basement of the Vanderbilt's spacious vacation home. She has lived there most of her life. Her father worked on the house as it was being built and is the mechanic who runs the massive generator and keeps the electricity going. Serafina is the chief rat catcher, slipping through the halls of her massive home secretly and quietly. She is light on her feet, sees well in the dark, and is quick enough to catch the vermin and keep them out. Serafina knows she if different and strange. Her father insists she stay hidden. But all that changes when one night Serafina witnesses a horrible crime. A little girl, a guest in the house, is fleein

Shorter Musings MG Fantasy

Here are some shorter musings on recent MG fantasy reads. Anya and the Dragon   by Sofiya Pasternack This book is fun. It is a book full of adventure, an obvious bad guy, some more complicated morally gray area characters, and a strong, brave heroine. It is also a book about friendships, community, and fighting for what is right. All things that usually work for me really well. While I enjoyed this, I did feel it was a little overlong and there were certain plot points at the end I didn't love. However, there were things I thought were done really well, such as Anya's Jewish faith and the idea that power needs to be challenged. In the end it was a middle of the road read for me, but it is one I will certainly be recommending to dragon and fantasy adventure lovers I know! R is for Rebel   by J. Anderson Coats This is tough because I usually really like Coats's books. I had such a hard time with this one though on so many levels. It's difficult to get into because t