Skip to main content

From Twinkle, with Love

With her second book,  From Twinkle, with Love, Sandhya Menon has solidified herself as one of my must read authors. Not only did I feel her sophomore novel lived up to the hype and accolades of When Dimple Met Rishi, I actually liked it a little bit more.

Twinkle Mehra is tired of her life as a groundling. Her best friend Maddie has moved on to better and more popular friends, and Twinkle knows it's just a matter of time before she's left behind for good. Her years long unrequited crush on Neil Roy seems destined to remain forever unrequited even though Twinkle KNOWS they could be the best high school power couple ever. When Niel's twin brother Sahil offers to produce a film Twinkle would direct and film for their upcoming school festival, Twinkle sees a once in a lifetime chance to show everyone who she is. And if that happens to mean getting her best friend back and  winning the boy of her dreams at the same time so much the better! Except she quickly starts developing complicated feelings for a different boy who may be even better than her dreams, but life is complicated, and Twinkle is about to discover how much.

The book is told mostly in the form of Twinkle's journal which she writes as letters to her favorite female directors. It is interspersed occasionally with emails and text conversations between various characters. At its heart, it is epistolatory, which I love. The format could have come across as contrived, but it really works for Twinkle's voice. Her passion for film, her hurt over Maddie's defection to the popular crowd, and her confusion over her growing feelings for Sahil come across as genuine and heartfelt. I really felt like I knew Twinkle in every aspect by the end of the book. One thing I've appreciated about both Menon's novels so far is her ability to let teens be teens. I love that her characters are unsure, but think they aren't until there's no escaping it. I love that they make mistakes because of their impulsivity and emotions. I love the complexities in their relationships. Twinkle is a flawed character who makes some poor choices, but that makes her this very real girl I could picture sitting in one of my classes or hanging out at my house with my daughter. I also love how flawed the heroes of the book are. They are good guys. Genuinely good guys. But they're still teenage human ones. Sahil has a lot of insecurities that cause him to lash out and make poor choices too. What is most important is how they learn and grow and make amends for what they do. Twinkle and Sahil are a great couple with an arc that was both fun to follow but also realistic in its vulnerabilities and pitfalls.

The friendship aspect of this story is equally as important as the romantic aspect. Twinkle, like most teenagers, doesn't see herself clearly in relation to others at all. Neither do any of the others and this is where Menon's realism is particularly strong. Twinkle's best friend has recently become part of a new, more popular group of friends. Maddie doesn't spend as much time with Twinkle as she used to, and Twinkle is hurt by this as well as the feeling that Hannah and the rest of the girls Maddie hangs out with finds her less. Hannah could have been noting more than a stereotypical mean girl but she wasn't. Maddie could have been a shallow girl who just dropped Twinkle and moved on. She wasn't. All the girls that make up the group Maddie hangs out with now have individual personalities and nothing about their relationships is simple. Twinkle's discovery of this and what she learns about herself as a result is a journey we don't see typically in YA novels of this type. I also thoroughly enjoyed the interactions between the guys in the group. Sahil and his friends were great, as were the two extra male friends they pick up as the story progresses. Menon has a real talent for character creation, and I want to read more about all of these people now.

It is easy from the synopsis where the main plot of the story is going, but the joy in this book is taking that journey with Twinkle herself through all of her ups and downs, joys and confusions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Kissing Scenes

When thinking of a favorite things post I could do for February I decided it would have to be kissing. I've already done couples and I was feeling in the mood to do something fluffy and Valentine's related. So kisses it is. I read more MG than YA, and the YA I read tends to not focus on romance so this was actually harder than I expected it to be though a few jumped into my head right away. (And one of my choices does actually come from a MG book. One is adult. Gasp!) The actual scene from the book is quoted followed by my thoughts. The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and a groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day . - The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Turner doesn't write the

TTT: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly themed blog hop created by  The Broke and the Bookish  and now hosted at  That Artsy Reader Girl . This Week's Topic: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List From Most Recent to Least: What books have recently caught your eye?

Serafina and the Black Cloak

Serafina and the Black Cloak  by Robert Beatty is a thrilling tale of mystery and adventure set at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC in 1899. Having lived in Asheville and visited the house several times, there was no way I was going to pass up a chance to read this. (Also it's MG fantasy, always a bonus for me.) Serafina lives in secret in the basement of the Vanderbilt's spacious vacation home. She has lived there most of her life. Her father worked on the house as it was being built and is the mechanic who runs the massive generator and keeps the electricity going. Serafina is the chief rat catcher, slipping through the halls of her massive home secretly and quietly. She is light on her feet, sees well in the dark, and is quick enough to catch the vermin and keep them out. Serafina knows she if different and strange. Her father insists she stay hidden. But all that changes when one night Serafina witnesses a horrible crime. A little girl, a guest in the house, is fleein

This Side of Home

What attracted me to This Side of Home by Renee Watson was the cover. The story hooked my interest. The characters made me fall in love. Maya has lived her entire life in the same neighborhood in Portland hanging out with the same group of friends: her twin sister Nikki, their best friend Essence, and Ronnie, Malachi, and Devin-three boys her father mentors. They have plans for the future that involve each other: prom, college, life. But things in their neighborhood are changing. People are moving in and starting new businesses. Property values are going up as a result. In addition to change, this is also causing trouble. Essence has to move out of her  house when the owner decides he can make more money selling it than renting it. The racial demographics of the school, which has been mostly African American, is shifting. This presents new challenges and choices for Maya and her friends. It brings new people into their lives at the same time. Maya has to figure out how-and if-she wa

Shorter Musings MG Fantasy

Here are some shorter musings on recent MG fantasy reads. Anya and the Dragon   by Sofiya Pasternack This book is fun. It is a book full of adventure, an obvious bad guy, some more complicated morally gray area characters, and a strong, brave heroine. It is also a book about friendships, community, and fighting for what is right. All things that usually work for me really well. While I enjoyed this, I did feel it was a little overlong and there were certain plot points at the end I didn't love. However, there were things I thought were done really well, such as Anya's Jewish faith and the idea that power needs to be challenged. In the end it was a middle of the road read for me, but it is one I will certainly be recommending to dragon and fantasy adventure lovers I know! R is for Rebel   by J. Anderson Coats This is tough because I usually really like Coats's books. I had such a hard time with this one though on so many levels. It's difficult to get into because t