Skip to main content

Anna and the French Kiss

I moved twice when I was in high school, once before my freshman year and once before my junior year.  I was perfectly happy about the first move and totally not about the second.  So, I know what it is like to be the new girl, in a place completely different, with no friends and to have super rage over it as only a teenager can have.  I have to say Stephanie Perkins did a very fine job of conveying, through Anna's character, the emotions involved in such a move.  Reading the beginning of this book made me have flashbacks.  On the flip side I really wanted to yell at Anna, "Girl, you are in PARIS.  Me?  I was moved to Fayetteville, NC (a place not so fondly referred to by its current and former residents as "Fayetnam").
Can I just say?  The lack of symmetry on this cover really annoys me.

Anna and the French Kiss has been showered with all kinds of love all over the Internet so I was very interested in reading it.  This review by Allison over at The Allure of Books is what made me really want to read it.  I became unwilling to wait  for my library to get around to purchasing a copy and bought my own.

Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris—until she meets Étienne St. Claire: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.  As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near-misses end with the French kiss Anna—and readers—have long awaited?

I very much enjoyed the few hours it took me to read this book cover to cover.  Anna's voice drew me into the story right away and it was very easy for me to relate to her.  I felt like Anna's experiences being in a foreign country were just as realistically portrayed as her new girl experiences (I too have been paralyzed by terror in Paris, France at the thought of ordering off a menu).  Etienne St. Claire is a great hero.   He's your classic romantic nice guy but his character has a depth to it you don't often find in romantic chick lit novels.  I think what I liked best about the book is how Anna and Etienne are friends.  Friends who happened to be very attracted to each other, but their friendship is still very real.  I loved how, through the character of Anna's father, Stephanie Perkins makes fun of Nicholas Sparks.  And I'm all for anything that makes fun of Nicholas Sparks.

There were a couple of things that detracted from my absolutely loving the book unequivocally.  For the first two thirds of the book I was really engaged and felt the communication between all of the characters was portrayed realistically.  But then all the misunderstandings started to get to be a bit much.  It was almost as if the author decided she couldn't resolve the situation until a certain time of the year had come or  page number had been reached.  The teenage drama and miscommunication in the last  third of the novel became tedious to read because I felt like it was being forced.  It just didn't flow as naturally as the rest of the book did.  My other quibble is a minor one, but it tripped me up every time it happened.  Eteinne, who has an English accent because he grew up in England, says "me mum" a lot.  Each time I felt his character had been possessed by  the Lucky Charms leprechaun.  I lived in England for four years, granted it was a long time ago, but I don't remember people there switching out their my's for me's.

I definitely enjoyed my experience in Paris with Anna and Ettiene and am looking forward to reading the companion novel Lola and the Boy Next Door when it comes out in the fall of this year.

Note on Content: This is a book for teens. There is a scene on Anna's birthday that involves drinking. There are some allusions to sex but as Anna is the narrator and she's not sexually active, nothing is described.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Kissing Scenes

When thinking of a favorite things post I could do for February I decided it would have to be kissing. I've already done couples and I was feeling in the mood to do something fluffy and Valentine's related. So kisses it is. I read more MG than YA, and the YA I read tends to not focus on romance so this was actually harder than I expected it to be though a few jumped into my head right away. (And one of my choices does actually come from a MG book. One is adult. Gasp!) The actual scene from the book is quoted followed by my thoughts. The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and a groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day . - The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Turner doesn't write the

TTT: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly themed blog hop created by  The Broke and the Bookish  and now hosted at  That Artsy Reader Girl . This Week's Topic: Most Recent Additions to My TBR List From Most Recent to Least: What books have recently caught your eye?

Serafina and the Black Cloak

Serafina and the Black Cloak  by Robert Beatty is a thrilling tale of mystery and adventure set at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC in 1899. Having lived in Asheville and visited the house several times, there was no way I was going to pass up a chance to read this. (Also it's MG fantasy, always a bonus for me.) Serafina lives in secret in the basement of the Vanderbilt's spacious vacation home. She has lived there most of her life. Her father worked on the house as it was being built and is the mechanic who runs the massive generator and keeps the electricity going. Serafina is the chief rat catcher, slipping through the halls of her massive home secretly and quietly. She is light on her feet, sees well in the dark, and is quick enough to catch the vermin and keep them out. Serafina knows she if different and strange. Her father insists she stay hidden. But all that changes when one night Serafina witnesses a horrible crime. A little girl, a guest in the house, is fleein

This Side of Home

What attracted me to This Side of Home by Renee Watson was the cover. The story hooked my interest. The characters made me fall in love. Maya has lived her entire life in the same neighborhood in Portland hanging out with the same group of friends: her twin sister Nikki, their best friend Essence, and Ronnie, Malachi, and Devin-three boys her father mentors. They have plans for the future that involve each other: prom, college, life. But things in their neighborhood are changing. People are moving in and starting new businesses. Property values are going up as a result. In addition to change, this is also causing trouble. Essence has to move out of her  house when the owner decides he can make more money selling it than renting it. The racial demographics of the school, which has been mostly African American, is shifting. This presents new challenges and choices for Maya and her friends. It brings new people into their lives at the same time. Maya has to figure out how-and if-she wa

Shorter Musings MG Fantasy

Here are some shorter musings on recent MG fantasy reads. Anya and the Dragon   by Sofiya Pasternack This book is fun. It is a book full of adventure, an obvious bad guy, some more complicated morally gray area characters, and a strong, brave heroine. It is also a book about friendships, community, and fighting for what is right. All things that usually work for me really well. While I enjoyed this, I did feel it was a little overlong and there were certain plot points at the end I didn't love. However, there were things I thought were done really well, such as Anya's Jewish faith and the idea that power needs to be challenged. In the end it was a middle of the road read for me, but it is one I will certainly be recommending to dragon and fantasy adventure lovers I know! R is for Rebel   by J. Anderson Coats This is tough because I usually really like Coats's books. I had such a hard time with this one though on so many levels. It's difficult to get into because t